Experience:  Manager/co-owner at Autotronic

had an engine put in and cant get it decoded bought engin

Customer Question

had an engine put in and cant get it decoded bought engin from breakers and all the infomation has been scraped with the donor car, can you help
Category: Car
Expert:  nabilc replied 5 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JA!!!

I'm Billy and i will help you with this question.

First of all, i need you to tell me exactly what you mean by decoding it (please be patient and descriptive), do you need the engine code, wiring diagram...

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
all i can tell you is the fuel pump went on the car ,took the car to our garage and was told a new pump would be £1200 and that this particular pump can't be referbed, so i managed to get a complete engine from a donor car for nearly half the price of a new pump,but now the car won't start untill we can decode the pump that came from the donor car.we took the car to toomies at laindon and they can't or won't help me
Expert:  nabilc replied 5 years ago.
Hello Sir,

Please understand that i need all the info i can get so i give my answer accordingly, so please confirm the following:
- the old engine and new one are the same (same year, size and everything)
- the new pump you got from new engine, trying to install it on your engine
- when you say decode the pump, do you mean you need the timing and marking to fit the new pump.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

yes the old engine is the same as the new one same size year everything

no we just took out old engine and put new engine in with the fuel pump already on

no apparently we need the ECU memory of the donor car which has now been scraped

Expert:  nabilc replied 5 years ago.
In that case sir, i do not think, it has anything to do with the pump, it is the immobilizer (anti theft system) that is preventing the engine from turning on.

You need to do one of the following:
- take car to vauxhall dealer, so they reprogram the immobilizer system
- put old engine back, replace only fuel pump

You might also want to try and put old ECU (which was yours all along on the new engine), (i would advise you start like that)
I suggest you make a few calls and decide which way is easier and cheaper.

Edited by Billy on 11/1/2010 at 6:01 PM EST