VW Tech 1
VW Tech 1, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. ASE Master Auto Tech, ASE Heavy Truck Tech, VW factory trained, MINI factory trained,
25695808

infiniti g35: you noticed that cars with the 3m film have problems

We just bought an Infiniti G37x and are considering the "clear bra" for paint protection. In your experience, have you noticed that cars with the 3M film have problems with film discoloration or paint discoloration under the film?
Category: Car
Expert:  VW Tech 1 replied 6 years ago.

VW Tech 1 :

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. I have several cars with 3m clear bra applied and have had no issues

JACUSTOMER-xds0myps- :

OK. It appears to be the only add-on at time of delivery that some people think is worth it. However, the dealer wants $999 for it. I'm assuming that's wildly overpriced.

VW Tech 1 :

In my day job at the dealership we see lots of cars with this applied - we apply them as well - I have not seen issues with paint discoloration or or film discoloration. Did have to reapply after 6 years on 1 car.

VW Tech 1 :

Yes that is wildly overpriced. The going rate is about $250. 00 at most shops in this area.

JACUSTOMER-xds0myps- :

The car is white. That's why I'm concerned with yellowing. Any problems with white cars in your experience?

VW Tech 1 :

No - my car is black and my brother - in - laws is white and no issues on either.

JACUSTOMER-xds0myps- :

Would I go to a body shop to have it applied? Is there any warranty with the film?

VW Tech 1 :

Not the body shop. Look for an aftermarket window tint / bedliner installer in your area and they should be able to help you. If they can't they will know who can.

JACUSTOMER-xds0myps- :

How would such an installer be listed in the Yellow Pages?

VW Tech 1 :

We provide a lifetime warranty for the original purchaser for the film. We even reapply after they have been repaired at the body shop for free.

JACUSTOMER-xds0myps- :

Does "we" mean the dealer?

VW Tech 1 :

Yes the yellow pages is a good place to start or google something like "3m clear bra chicago" just use your city - not Chicago.

JACUSTOMER-xds0myps- :

OK, thanks for the advice.