JHoop
JHoop, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 Year Engine Builder,16 years as a Tech HvyLine, Suspension, Electrical, Brakes, 6 Year Shop Owner
4700517

2000 oldsmobile bravada: rotor and brake assembly..seal..new one

I am having trouble trying to repair a rear wheel bearing on my 2000 oldsmobile bravada, I cant seem to figure out how to get to the actual bearing, I have taken the rotor and brake assembly off but am stuck now, I am assuming that it is indeed a bearing seal that went out because there is a great deal of fluid on my wheel well in a perfect arch and lots of greasy oil on my inner rim. I need instructions on how to disassemble the old bearing :if that is the problem: and then how to replace it with a new one.
Submitted: 3 years ago via AllDataDIY.
Category: Car
Expert:  JHoop replied 3 years ago.
Hello , my name isXXXXX you for choosing justanswer.com.

I uploaded the procedure in .pdf format here to justanswer. You can download it by clicking HERE. I hope this helps you.

If you need more help, please ask. If this answer helped you, please click ACCEPT.

If you have a deposit but did not click ACCEPT you will STILL be charged if you do not request a refund by e-mailing info@just answer.com . Not clicking ACCEPT hurts the Techs that help you!

Please leave positive feedback. As you can see I have excellent ratings in all my categories. Please remember I am not at the vehicle, Please don't leave a negative report. Thanks again, JHoop
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So I am a bit confused, Thank you for your response but help me understand, in order to replace the bearing that is all the way out on the hub of the wheel I have to get into the differential? and unlock it?
Expert:  JHoop replied 3 years ago.
Yes, you need to remove the C clips that hold the axle in. The bearing will be in the axle housing and you need a slide hammer with a bearing puller adapter.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Can i find a slide hammer with a bearing puller adapter at a auto store? also that figure appears to be of a drum brake, will it be different for me since my rear is a disk brake?
Expert:  JHoop replied 3 years ago.
It is the same procedure for any GM rear axle except the Vett's.

Autozone or Kragen/O'Reily rent these pullers out. Use only GL-5 lubricant and a limited slip additive.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok so I am actually pulling the axle out from its connection at the C lock? Then once its out i can pull the old bearing out with the puller? I guess I am just perplexed because of all the videos i watched on you tube were so much simpler with no axle pulling, of course non of them were for a bravada but the bearing was easily replaced.
Expert:  JHoop replied 3 years ago.
The information I supplied you is accurate. I could not find a you tube link for that without logging into YouTube and I can't on this computer, JHoop
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok thats fine I just one more question, when i pull the axle out, will the bearing be attached the the end of the axle still? When i look at replacement parts they sell the entire assembly with the wheel hub and all, do i need that if the seal is just busted or just the bearing and new seal?
Expert:  JHoop replied 3 years ago.
And what site is that?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
http://www.dieselpartspros.com/addtocart/2000_Oldsmobile/Bravada/Wheel_Hub_Assembly/92-00002.html#
Expert:  JHoop replied 3 years ago.
Sorry but that is the front hub.

Description: Front Hub - All Models

Edited by JHoop on 10/21/2010 at 12:24 AM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Can i find a rear wheel hub bearing at like an autozone like place? what can i expect to pay?
Expert:  JHoop replied 3 years ago.
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/2000-Oldsmobile-Bravada-AWD/Axle-Shaft-Bearing-Rear/_/N-jeb9xZ6o3al

Call for pricing.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok thank you, XXXXX XXXXX what i have described ie: oily liquid in an arch on my wheel well and it dripping down onto the inside of my rim can a guy just about be sure that it is indeed an axle shaft bearing that is the reason for this leak? is gl-5 the same thing as what the retards like me call "differential fluid'?
Expert:  JHoop replied 3 years ago.
GL-5 is the fluid rating. The seal is blown and that is a very good indication that the bearing is toast
JHoop, Auto Service Technician
Experience: 14 Year Engine Builder,16 years as a Tech HvyLine, Suspension, Electrical, Brakes, 6 Year Shop Owner
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I want you to be honest with me, is this something a relatively inexperienced mechanic like myself can do?
Expert:  JHoop replied 3 years ago.
It is not that bad. It takes about 2.5 hours. It is all about understanding and following the directions provided.