Steve
Steve, ASE Certified Tech
Experience:  25 years working as a service technician
43460220

This product liquid glass sealer seal up a cracked head, which is

Customer Question

hi there, is this product liquid glass sealer seal up a cracked head, which is between the weak spots between the values. thanks
Category: Car
Expert:  Steve replied 6 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to Justanswer,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question

Liquid glass is a block sealer thats been around forever. I personally wouldn't recommend it in the auto/light truck application. It's best left for Large trucks, or equipment with low pressure cooling systems. Even then I have seen it plug up radiators with HUGE dia. tubes. And once it hardens............it's there for good.

As far as sealing the head gasket It is under a lot of pressure and should be replaced versus chemical repairs.

The head gasket seals oil ports, cooling ports and the cylinder compression chambers where the head is mounted onto the engine block. Problems with blown head gasket include oil loss, coolant loss and engine power loss due to lost cylinder compression.

This can result in a variety of problems:
1) COOLANT IN THE OIL evidenced by a "milkshake" white frothy looking goo under the head gasket (look under the oil fill cap (and under the valve cover through the oil fill port with a flashlight). sometimes you'll see water or coolant on the dipstick.
2) OIL IN THE COOLANT evidenced by the coolant turning brown with a slight oil slick look on the water surface (if there's any left)
3) Leaky radiator or other part of the cooling system; if one or both of the first two indications are present, then it is likely that the cylinder pressure is bleeding into the cooling loop. if this happens then the pressure buildup will cause the weakest point to rupture.
4) CRACKED or WARPED HEADS. The problem that caused the head gasket to fail may have caused the heads to either warp or crack. In this case, there will be more expense than just replacing the head gasket(s).
5) BLOWN GASKET BETWEEN CYLINDERS OR TO ATMOSPHERE. Here, the head gasket is blown and the only evidence of failure is loss of power.

I would recommend replacing the head gasket.