Billy
Billy, Trainer/Master tech.
Experience:  Trainer 8+ years, master tech. 10+ years, SAE member
30385560

vehicle is stalling or acting as it has no power. doesnt happen

The vehicle is stalling or acting as it has no power. doesn't happen all the time. feel it when accelearting. Acts like clogged fuel filter type problem. I have changed the external fuel filter. again does not do this all the time. Ran it about 15 minutes did it a couple of times and then stopped doing it.
Submitted: 3 years ago via ChiltonDIY.
Category: Car
Expert:  Billy replied 3 years ago.

Billy :

Hello and welcome to JA!!!

Billy :

I'm Billy and i will help you with your question.

Billy :

Since the stalling does not happen all the time, then you are right the fuel system is the first to check.

Customer :

Thanks

Billy :

But i need you to check the

Billy :

for clogged lines, and i need you to check the pressure regulator....

Billy :

the best way to check this problem is by having a fuel pressure gauge attached to fuel rail while driving the vehicle.

Billy :

And when the engine stalls you check for pressure changes. If the pressure is well during the stall, then it is something else than the fuel system (although i doubt it).

Billy :

I suggest you do the following:

Billy :

put injector and fuel system cleaner in tank.

Billy :

clean fuel lines to and from tank using compressed air

Customer :

the vehicle has 160,000 miles fyi

Billy :

and revv the car a few times after cleaning your system.

Customer :

Will the injector cleaner take some time to show any effects?

Billy :

if you put the injector cleaner in an almost empty tank (has less than 4 5 gallons) and you drive the vehicle and revv it up a little bit, the cleaner should give results after about a 30 min ride

Billy :

While you're checking, i suggest you take a look at the air cleaner and the spark plugs.

Customer :

Air cleaner is clean. plugs will have to check.

Billy :

the symptoms you describe don't point to a spark plug fault, but it doesn't hurt to check...

Customer :

ok will try the cleaner. If problem persists, does the chiltons manual show where to hook up a pressure gage

Billy :

yes

Billy :

it's on the end of the fuel rail

Billy :

the fuel rail is attached to the injectors

Customer :

ok

Customer :

any other suggestions? I will go and try the cleaner

Billy :

no....i think after trying the cleaner, you only have to conduct the pressure test, which gives you a definitive answer on wether it's the fuel system or not.....(i still think that the fuel system is the culprit)

Customer :

so if the cleaner doesn't do it and I do have a pressure problem what is the next likely prolbem

Billy :

pressure regulator

Customer :

I take it that is replaceable (haven't looked) or adjsutable

Billy :

replaceable.....not adjustable

Customer :

difficult? ex[ensive, somehting a dyi'r could do in the garage successfully?

Billy :

not expensive at all.....

Billy :

a diy'er could change it easily......especially with a chilton service manual at hand.......

Billy :

wouldn't take more than an hour

Customer :

Thanks! this is the first time Ihave used this service, whats next? I beleive I have enought information to continue my path to a fix with this issue.

Billy :

If you are satisfied with the tech help, kindly click the ACCEPT button so i get credited for my work, leave good feedback (bonuses are very appreciated

Customer :

OK thanks again. If you any other tech thoughts prior to me signing off please let me know.

Billy :

sure....good luck

Billy :

Summary: 1- cleaner, 2- fuel lines, 3- pressure check, if pressure check fails then change: pressure regulator, if pressure check fails again change fuel pump.

Billy :

Hope you solve it from step 1......good luck

Billy :

If you are satisfied with the tech help, kindly click the ACCEPT button so i get credited for my work, leave good feedback (bonuses are very appreciated)

Billy, Trainer/Master tech.
Experience: Trainer 8+ years, master tech. 10+ years, SAE member