RomeoTech
RomeoTech, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  I'm committed to excellent, high quality repair and maintenance advice of your vehicle.
51923398

Ford Escape: 2001 XLT 4wd 156..voltage regulator..alternator

Ford Escape 2001 XLT 4wd 156,000 km.
Intermitant batery light,trying to find out if occuring during dry or wet condition...
Is their a way to replace the voltage regulator, i think it is stik to the alternator ?
Category: Car
Expert:  RomeoTech replied 3 years ago.
1. Verify there is battery voltage on the Black/Yellow (BK/YE) wire that comes from fuse F1-11 (15 amp) in the battery Junction Box (BJB).

2. Check for power on the Yellow/White (YE/WH) wire from the 120 amp mega fuse in the BJB.

3. If the 2 power wires check out OK, unplug the Light Green/Red (LG/R) that supplies the ground to the charge light on the dash and ground it to verify the light comes on. If the light does not come on, check fuse F2-16 (10 amp) for a blown or missing fuse.

4. If the charge light stays on when the wire is disconnected, check the LG/R wire for a short to ground.

5. If the light does go out when the LG/R wire is disconnected, replace the alternator.

The LG/R wire is the "exciter" circuit to the alternator and should have batter voltage to it when it is unplugged from the alternator with the key on. Use a voltmeter to check for power, as it will not light a test light.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, I do have a proffessionnal Fluke multimeter to achive these tests.

I never use test light. but is there away to replace the voltage regulator

without removing the alternator?

Expert:  RomeoTech replied 3 years ago.
Without replacing alternator or if it test at 14v, try running a jumper from battery positive to the BK/YE on the voltage regulator connector. If the problem seems to be resolved, either run a new wire from fuse F1.11 30A of the engine compartment fuse box to the voltage regulator or locate and repair the problem in the wire.

The 3.0L Escape still uses a non computer controlled charging system.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Your # XXXXX stept... Ground to the charge light ?

Actually it come on intermitenly so the ground should do is work

Expert:  RomeoTech replied 3 years ago.
What's the condition of the Battery Positive Cable to the Alternator?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The Battery is two years old original ford repalcement, i use to clean poles every year before winter

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Back to the question....

The voltage regulator, is it stick to the alternator or remote?

Could it be ( the voltage regulator ) replace whitout removing the alternator ?

If screw to the alternator body, down under,and unacessable ?

For sure i will check for the positive cable to alternator,since you pin pointed.

And even check the resistance of the cable itself.Wich I doubt to be the problem...

So Maybe it is a shitty engeneering concept you dont want to go along

Expert:  RomeoTech replied 3 years ago.
Voltage Regulator
Min.
Voltage
Setting
Max.
Voltage
Setting
Note(s)
13.0 15.0 757
Measure battery voltage with engine above idle speed, voltage should be no less than 0.5 volts (loaded) and 2.5 volts (unloaded) above battery voltage read W/ engine off.

The voltage regulator is sticked to the alternator.
The only way it could be a faulty voltage regulator is if in incorrect regulator was installed in the past. In all other cases, most common cause would be the alternator or a bad wire/battery cable.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks XXXXX

Today or tomorrow (Sunday ) i will perform the electrecal check, thanks for the check

steps for the trouble shooting. It will be usefull to establish if the damed alternator

is faulty before calling ford dealer for an expensive replacement.

Because that thing is is a pain in the ass to replace as you know.

Ford realy piss me off with this one, cause it is a hard DIY job

Expert:  RomeoTech replied 3 years ago.
You're welcome, also a high quality aftermarket alternator will work also. Price ranges between $130-$150
Make sure you get the correct alternator: for 3.0 V6
RomeoTech, Auto Service Technician
Experience: I'm committed to excellent, high quality repair and maintenance advice of your vehicle.