Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician

sel..engine cranked no power to injectors didnt check coils

Customer Question

got a 2003 freelander 's' at auction turn ignition to start nothing happens put power to starter jumpered sel. engine cranked no power to injectors didn't check coils
Category: Car
Expert:  Tom replied 6 years ago.
So it will crank and not start correct?Is the security light blinking bet the key is not original and needs to be programmed to the truck . If there's no injector pulse I would bet that's the issue.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
security lite is not on or blinking
Expert:  Tom replied 6 years ago.
But it cranks over has spark just not injector pulse correct? Will it start with starting fluid?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

it doesn't crank with the ignition switch I jumpered the starter I didn't check for spark

what is the function of the transponder coil???

Expert:  Tom replied 6 years ago.
Ok so then if it does not crank with the ignition switch it could be a shorted ignition switch was this checked?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the switch is not shorted I have the wiring diagram of the switch it powers what it's supposed to. you didn't answer my question about the transponder coil
Expert:  Tom replied 6 years ago.
Ignition Switch Transponder Coil and Key Transponder
The transponder coil is supplied with a modulated electric current from the immobilization ECU. When the key transponder is within 2 cm (0.78 in) from the coil, with the ignition switch in the position I (AUX), an energy transfer from the coil to the transponder takes place, similar to the transformer principle, at a frequency of 125 kHz. The ECU de-modulates and decodes the received data and compares this with identification code data from the ECM. If the data is correct the ECU allows starter operation.

When the key is inserted in the ignition switch, communications between the transponder and the immobilization ECU, via the transponder coil, occur as follows:

A unique key identification number is XXXXX to the ECU
A random code is transmitted by the ECU to communicate with the key transponder
An encrypted response to the random code is transmitted from the key transponder to the ECU.
This is most likely then issue not reading turnkey . I would start there .
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
give me a minute
Expert:  Tom replied 6 years ago.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
how do I find out if this is the problem??
Expert:  Tom replied 6 years ago.
By testing like I posted you have all the symptoms. It would need to be reprogrammed at the dealer though.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
how much is the payment???
Expert:  Tom replied 6 years ago.
What payment?