Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor

92 cadillac deville: my security light started flashing..keyless entry

i have a 92 cadillac deville,and about 2 months ago my security light started flashing when the car was off.Then i my keyless entry would only work when the car was already on,but the car drove like a champ. Now however one minute i can start it up fine, than the next minute it wont even crank up. It never took longer than a few minutes to finally crank,but today it would not start for hours. Now its back to normal again, do i worry about the flashing light or is it the starter.
Category: Car
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

It is most likely a fault in the security system, which will require being diagnosed with a gm factory level scanner. But before you have that done, try the gm security reset/relearn procedure. If problem occurs again after this is done, then you will need to have it professionally diagnosed with the gm level scanner.

Reset/relearn procedure:

Ok, what we are going to try is a re-learn procedure, but you will need your original master key for this, it cant be a duplicate.

When performing the 30-minute relearn procedure, all previously learned keys will be erased from the TDM memory. Additional keys may be learned after performing the relearn procedure.

• With a master vehicle key, turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  • Observe the security indicator. After approximately 10 minutes, the telltale(security light) will turn OFF.
  • Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
  • Repeat steps 1-3 two more times for a total of 3 cycles or 30 minutes.

Important: The vehicle learns the key transponder information and/or passwords on the ignition switch transition from OFF to RUN. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.

• With a master vehicle key, start the vehicle. The vehicle has now learned the key transponder information and/or the ECM has now learned the fuel continue password.
  • If additional keys are required to be learned:
  • Adding Keys

Important:

To initiate, this procedure requires that a learned master key be available.
    A total of 10 master keys or valet keys may be programmed to a single vehicle.
    This procedure adds keys only. The procedure does not erase previously learned keys.
    The keys to be learned must duplicate the mechanical cut of the current key.
    If more than one valet key is to be learned, immediately precede each valet key with a learned master key.

1. With a previously learned master key, turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
    2. Turn OFF the ignition and remove the key.
    3. Within 10 seconds insert the key to be learned. Turn ON the ignition with the engine OFF. The vehicle has now learned the new key
  • Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
    Experience: Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor
    Customer: replied 3 years ago.
    ok when the ten minute time limit was the power to the radio went off but the light stayed flashing
    Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

ok, we definitely have a hard fault or problem in the antitheft system and will need to be hooked up to a scanner for this