Steve
Steve, ASE Certified Tech
Experience:  25 years working as a service technician
43460220

2005 chevy cobalt: engine power and the display says engine power

Customer Question

i have a 2005 chevy cobalt and i lost engine power and the display says engine power reduced and then it died and the display said engine disabled. any ideas as to what may be wrong?
Category: Car
Expert:  Steve replied 4 years ago.

Steve :

Hello and Welcome to Justanswer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question

Steve :

It is in failure management mode

JACUSTOMER-6ttlwxpt- :

what does that mean

Steve :

There is a problem with the trans or engine or the wireless throttle body and the computer has shut the car down until it gets fixed

Steve :

Need to pull codes and repair the codes to solve the concern.

JACUSTOMER-6ttlwxpt- :

pulled coeds got map sensor and mass air flow

Steve :

what are the code numbers?

JACUSTOMER-6ttlwxpt- :

not sure a mechanic pulled them

Steve :

What did the mechanic say about the codes?

Steve :

did he try to fix it?

JACUSTOMER-6ttlwxpt- :

he just said it gave him mass air flow and map sensor,he put a fuel filter,air filter and changed oil and charged me 180.00 and its still the same he is lost on it

Steve :

Wow need to find a different mechanic

JACUSTOMER-6ttlwxpt- :

yea

Steve :

Some times the mass air sensor gets dirty could try cleaning the two wires

Steve :

really need the codes for a proper pinpoint test

JACUSTOMER-6ttlwxpt- :

yea should have got them for that price

Steve :

I agree

JACUSTOMER-6ttlwxpt- :

i will try that i did mechanic work for 10 years but been out for awhile

Steve :

go to autozone they will pull the codes for free

JACUSTOMER-6ttlwxpt- :

ok that sounds better

Steve :

free is good

JACUSTOMER-6ttlwxpt- :

k when i get codes do i get back on here and give u the codes

Steve :

yes that will work

Steve :

Ill get you a pinpoint test

Steve :

you have a voltmeter?

JACUSTOMER-6ttlwxpt- :

yes i have one

Steve :

good let me know when you can

Steve :

on the code

JACUSTOMER-6ttlwxpt- :

k our autozone is closed right now is there a way to talk with u again

Steve :

Yes just re use this chat

JACUSTOMER-6ttlwxpt- :

k will it charge me again it will be later today

Steve :

no it only charges when you hit the green accept button

JACUSTOMER-6ttlwxpt- :

ok so just leave this page open

Steve :

yes leave it open and you can get back to me

JACUSTOMER-6ttlwxpt- :

ok will it hurt to drive it to autozone if it makes it

Steve :

no that is why it is in safe mode to not hurt the engine

JACUSTOMER-6ttlwxpt- :

ok thank u and i will get back with u

Steve :

ok

Steve :

have a great evening

JACUSTOMER-6ttlwxpt- :

i pulled the mass air will it hurt to clean with throttle body cleaner

Steve :

use electrical cleaner

Steve :

get it at a parts store

JACUSTOMER-6ttlwxpt- :

what two wires are you talking about

Steve :

there should be two small wires in the middl of the sensor

Steve :

here is a pics of a map sensor

Steve :

ill get a pics of mass air if you want

JACUSTOMER-6ttlwxpt- :

i dont think i will need a pic of it

Steve :

ok how does the map sensor work?

JACUSTOMER-6ttlwxpt- :

yea thats a good pic

Steve :

ok let me knw on the codes

JACUSTOMER-6ttlwxpt- :

have a good evening im going to get some sleep i will get back with u and thank u

Steve :

youre welcome

JACUSTOMER-6ttlwxpt- :

ok i got the codes and they are P0068 and P0106

Steve :

hi

Steve :

both codes aer related to the map sensor.

Steve :

make sure you have no vacuum leaks and the air cleaner and snorkel are attached properly.

Steve :

If it is all good then replace the map sensor

JACUSTOMER-6ttlwxpt- :

well all of that looks good but now it wont start and it sounds like just the crank is spinning like the timing is that a possibility?

Steve :

hi

Steve :

You have a timing chain and it usually does not break.

Steve :

need to check for spark and fuel pressure

Steve :

The computer controls the timing.

Steve :

also pull the spark plugs and see if they are fuel fouled and if they are replace them

JACUSTOMER-6ttlwxpt- :

i put new plugs in it and i dont have a way to check fuel pressure could it still be the map sensor

Steve :

If we are talking about the no start I would check for spark and fuel pressure. It is possible for a map sensor to cause a no start. Try unplugging the map sensor and see if it will start.