Steve
Steve, ASE Certified Tech
Experience:  25 years working as a service technician
43460220

2000 pontiac grand am: the water pump..timing chain..tensioner

Customer Question

the water pump on my car is leaking radiator fluid from the weap hole. It's a 2000 pontiac grand am 2.4. I have a manual for the vehicle although when it gets to removing the timing chain tensioner its very vague. I have no problem removing alternator drive belt and exaust manifold, however I need to know specifics on how to remove timing tensioner. My primary question is if I set cylinder one to TDC and remove the timing chain cover housing and then remove the timing chain tensioner can I just remove old water pump replace new and tighten timing chain tensioner? Need more specifics then my manual gives. a diagram of the timing chain housing would help also. ANy help very appreciated
Category: Car
Expert:  Steve replied 4 years ago.

Steve :

Hello and Welcome to Justanswer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question

Steve :

hi

Customer:

my manual sucks

Customer:

talked to a friend of mine that said this was a night mare

Customer:

cant afford to take it in

Steve :

click on the blue link below for instructions

Customer:

need help with timing tensioner

Customer:

or any short cuts that you know of

Steve :

updated procedure

Steve :

click on the blue link above

Steve :

take you away from the chat maybe but hit the back button on you're browser to get back

Steve :

print the pdf i just sent and i will send you some more

Customer:

ok

Customer:

am not planning on doing this until tomarow

Customer:

also do I need any specialty tools for this?

Steve :

get the first one?

Steve :

Just sent the second one

Steve :

no special tools

Customer:

ya

Steve :

have you opend up the two pdfs i sent you?

Steve :

I lied you do need special tools

Steve :
  • J 36800 Camshaft Sprocket Timing Alignment Pin
  • J 39579 Camshaft Sprocket Wrench
Steve :

get them from a parts store

Customer:

yeah just did

Steve :

Bummer they placed the water pump in a tough spot I hate that

Customer:

there is no shortcut to getting the water pump out without removing timing chain tensioner?

Steve :

The engineers should have to replace them that designed it

Customer:

yeah

Steve :

let them suffer

Customer:

am confident in all of it but this tensioner

Steve :

no there is not the timing chain rotates the water pump

Customer:

i know it

Steve :

Tension er is easy just compress it and use a paper clip end to hold it

Steve :

then remove the paper clip and it will self adjust

Steve :

GM does not specify if this engine is an interference engine or not.

To be safe, always observe the following precautions.

If cylinder head is installed on the cylinder block:

• DO NOT turn the crankshaft or camshaft if the timing belt/chain is not installed or if the camshaft timing has not been confirmed to be correct.
  • DO NOT rotate engine backwards.
  • If a broken or "jumped" timing belt/chain is suspected, DO NOT use the starter to crank the engine.
  • If a "catch" is felt when rotating the engine by hand, DO NOT attempt force the engine to rotate past the "catch".

If cylinder head is removed (overhead cam engines):

• Do not set cylinder head on a flat surface with combustion chamber down.

When re-installing a cylinder head:

• Confirm that the crankshaft AND camshaft gears align with their respective timing marks or confirm that all shafts are set to TDC for cylinder # XXXXX BEFORE placing the cylinder head onto the cylinder block.

If the timing chain/belt has broken of "jumped time" with the engine running, always check for bent valves by pressurizing each cylinder with air with it's valves in the closed position.

Customer:

will take me a while to read over this material.

Customer:

how essential is it that i have those tools

Customer:

will any other tools work in place of them

Customer:

I will read over this material and give it a shot tomarow

Customer:

the cars worth about 1.5 k and they want 1k to fix it so im going to attempt to fix it

Steve :

they are important need them to line up the timing marks without them the timing will be off and you may ruin the engine

Customer:

how much do they cost

Customer:

would napa carry them on hand do you think

Steve :

get the tools and use them properly there are no substitution for them

Steve :

Depends were you get them and the quality of the tool but around 100 dollars

Steve :

may call around i gave the part numbers

Steve :

do you hava a friend who works for chevy or gm?

Customer:

okay thank you so much

Customer:

no nissan

Customer:

haha

Steve :

may be able to rent them call rental shops

Customer:

i wish

Customer:

okay

Customer:

appreciate it am going to wake up early tomarow and get started

Customer:

are you on tomarow to?

Steve :

have a great evening and good luck

Customer:

thank you again

Steve :

yep hit the accept button and you can get back to me on this chat

Steve :

your welcome

Customer:

if i hit accept can I come back if I have questions or will i have to pay again

Steve :

no you can get back to me on this chat

Steve :

do it all the time

Customer:

okay

Steve :

hit the accept button and you can get back to me on this chat,

Customer:

your sure that i can come back and ask you questions no charge tomarow

Customer:

long as its about this car

Steve :

yes i do it all the time

Customer:

okay

Steve, ASE Certified Tech
Experience: 25 years working as a service technician
Expert:  Steve replied 4 years ago.
Have a great evening and good luck tomorrow