Experience:  Manager/co-owner at Autotronic

Pinto: XXXXX XXXXX cluster..inspected..ok as speedometer

Customer Question

I have a FIAT PUNTO ELX 8V 1242 cc 2001 and am having problems with the speedometer,
I have already tried suggestions from one of the other experts but have still not solved the problem, which is :-speedometer will only show a speed of up to 15 to 20 mph even though actual speed is much higher.
suggestions so far.
change speed sensor (done with no change)
change instrument cluster (done with no change)
check worm drive at sensor (removed and inspected could not see any problem)
could not check wirring as do not know where wires from sensor go, but assume ok as speedometer does show speed upto 20 mph. ( although not accurate.)
Help required please. this seems to be a common problem but no answer.
Category: Car
Expert:  nabilc replied 5 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Billy :

Hi I'm Billy and i will help you with this!

Billy :

As these vehicles have problems with speed sensors, you need to check if the one you got was the updated one.

Billy :

Having said that, i think your problem resides in the CAN bus (a network that allows car computers to communicate)

Billy :

If it's a CAN bus problem, you need to take it to the dealer. At least get it scanned and get the problem pinned, after doing that i might be able to guide you through fixing it (if you wish to).

Expert:  nabilc replied 5 years ago.
Kindly keep me updated so i know the answer provided was of good use.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

thanks Billy

Looks like a visit to the dealer to get it scanned is the only option.

If it is the CAN bus what does this entail as regards XXXXX XXXXX and how much will as scan and possible repair cost.

Is a D.I.Y. repair possible if it is the CAN bus.

Expert:  nabilc replied 5 years ago.
A DIY repair is almost impossible if it turned out to be the CAN bus, you would need an oscilloscope and a scan tool.
A CAN bus problem could be very expensive to fix especially if the gateway is defective part. But since your car operates normally except for the above mentioned problem, then it would be a CAN bus wiring, that wouldn't cost you next to nothing on parts and about two hours of labor (you must know how much they require per hour where you reside).
Sorry i couldn't give you more detail on the pricing as it would differ depending on your exact location. But this info should enable to talk to the dealer with a good knowledgeable background.
Hopefully this will end soon, and will cost as cheap as could be (fingers crossed on the wiring;).
Kindly keep me updated.

Good Luck,
Experience: Manager/co-owner at Autotronic
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Speedometer repaired after 4 weeks at dealers. (use of courtesy car)

Scan did not turn up answer.

Inspection by Fiat manufacture technician found ABS control unit to be at fault.

Replaced unit with second hand unit. £60

all working ok.

Unit fitted for price of faulty scan diagnosis £60 no charge for courtesy car.

Well pleased

Expert:  nabilc replied 4 years ago.
Excellent news!!!

Good luck!!!