Problem Solver
Problem Solver, ASE Master Techinician
Experience:  28 Years feild experince in automotive repairs, Driveability Expert, ASE Master Tech.

1999 Navigator: electronic..module..26, Circuit 249 and ground..meter

Customer Question

I have a 1999 Navigator with a blend door problem. I have installed a new actuator and blend door, but the system still doesn't work. I benched tested the new actuator and it works correctly; as well as the blend door is free and not binding.

I have went through the Pinpoint tests for a blend door failure and get the following results:
A1 - check actuator clockwise operation; blend door actuator did not drive clockwise, so I went to...
PinPoint A3 - separated electronic blend door actuator connector C229 and measured the resistance between EATC module connector pin C281-26, Circuit 249 and Ground; meter showed OL indicating no resistance (should be 10000 ohms and greater).... This indicates I need to repair Circuit 249 (??).

Other failed Pinpoint tests: A2, A4 (indicating circuit 250 needs repair) (??)
Other passed pinpoint tests: A5, A6, A9, A10, and A14 (no open circuits)

What is strange is that when I conduct Pinpoint Test A1 or A2 by placing jumpers between C281-13 and C280-2 as well as C281-26 and 280-3; I have 11.55 volts at the C229 actuator connector. So I know the actuator is getting power.

What am I missing? feedback issue? Computer or network issue? another fuse somewhere? Please let me know if you can assist.
Submitted: 6 years ago via AllDataDIY.
Category: Car
Expert:  Problem Solver replied 6 years ago.
HI, did you repair the short in Circuit 249 before you moved on with the rest of the test?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No, not sure what that means....the circuit 249 is wrapped in an harness from the EATC module to the C229 actuator connector; as is circuit 250. would both of them have shorts at the same time? most of the harness is not seen under the dash, should I just install a new wire from the EATC to the actuator connector?

You need to fix this short first as it can give you false readings for other pinpoint test. You can run a new wire which is sometimes easier the then locating the bad section of harness.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Ok, I will try this. What I don't understand is how I can have the appropriate voltage at the actuator connector if there is a short in the wire; as well as how I can have a short in both the 249 and 250 circuits which are essentially the ground and the hot wire coming from the EATC. Makes me a little nervous to start cutting wires, but I will give it a try. I will get back to you when complete.

Just create a jumper for 249 to begin with.