Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25 years of experience, Certified Subaru Technician and Nissan factory trained.

2004 Nissan Sentra - all 3 brake lights are not working. Neither

Customer Question

2004 Nissan Sentra - all 3 brake lights are not working. Neither are the reverse lights. As far as I can tell, we have power to the brake light switch, and to the green and yellow wires to the rear lights. No power to the red and yellow wire to the rear.

Any ideas what might be wrong or what to check next?
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
carguy1 :

Hi there! Can you stand by for a moment while I locate a wiring diagram?

Customer :

sure

carguy1 :

Thanks!

carguy1 :

Ok, I am showing the power to the brake light switch as red/yellow, then red/green to the lights

carguy1 :

This is for the brake lights, not the reverse light

Customer :

I didn't get power at the rear of the car from the red/yellow. Did not check the red/green.

Customer :

assumiung no power to that one either

carguy1 :

Okj, need to check red/green with someone on the brakes.

Customer :

I can certainly do so. anything else to check while I am out there?

carguy1 :

Under the dash at the brake light switch, check the red/yellow. That should have constant battery voltage. If it does and no power to the red/green wires, then the switch is probably bad.

carguy1 :

Yes, is it manual or automatic transmission?

Customer :

this is an automatic

carguy1 :

Ok, put it in reverse and check for power at the green yellow wires back there.

Customer :

the red/yellow at the brake light switch does have power to it. I checked that earlier.

carguy1 :

key on of course.

carguy1 :

Ok, then check your red/greens, likely the switch is shot

carguy1 :

I will stand by and you let me know what you find.

Customer :

ok. On my way to check the red/green at the rear of the vehicle and also the green yellow with the vehicle in reverse. be back in a few. Thanks

carguy1 :

MAke sure you have a helper to step on the brakes!

Customer :

will do

carguy1 :

:)

Customer :

okay, no power to red/green on both sides...checking green/yellow next

carguy1 :

Ok, remember , key on shifter in reverse

Customer :

with the key on and shifter in reverse, no power to green/yellow on either side. I am testing them where they connect to the small white connector that houses the red/yellow as well.

carguy1 :

OK, that is good.

carguy1 :

where you are testing I mean.

carguy1 :

Hold for a moment while I see if they share any connection with the brake lights.

Customer :

in the trunk at the white connector at each light housing

carguy1 :

Yes, I was looking for one where all of the wires come together from the front of the car.

carguy1 :

Seems odd you would loose both

carguy1 :

I think you are going to want to get a brake light switch.

Customer :

ok, i can do that

carguy1 :

You can do a quick test by unpluging the switch, then run a small jumper wire in the harness from the red/yellow to the red/green. If the brake lights come on, then you need a switch

Customer :

ill try that now

carguy1 :

Check fuse #30 in the fuse box inside the car.

carguy1 :

this may affect the reverse lights.

Customer :

do i need to have the car on to check with jumper wire or should this have constant power? will also chk fues 30

carguy1 :

Constant power, no need for the car to be on.

carguy1 :

with the jumper.

carguy1 :

Here is a copy of your fuse box so you know which one is #30

carguy1 :

Full Size Image

Customer :

Checked all cabin fuses, and all are ok. Jumper wire test successful, all 3 brake lights worked

carguy1 :

Ok, You will need a brake light switch then

carguy1 :

one down and one to go!

Customer :

ok. I only have 26 fuses in the cabin, but all are ok

carguy1 :

No, it should look like the fuse box I gave you the diagram for

carguy1 :

please rechec=k the year ifd it doesn't

Customer :

production date is 03/04. under hood fuse box doesn't have 30 fuses either, but tested ok

carguy1 :

ok, that is confusing, but we will plod on

carguy1 :

need you to locate the park/neutral switch on the front of the transmission.

carguy1 :

Full Size Image

carguy1 :

When you find it, check for power on the yellow wire going to it.

carguy1 :

key on

Customer :

I have power to the yellow wire

carguy1 :

Ok, put it in reverse and see if there is power to the green/yellow. If not, disconnect and jumper yellow and green/yellow. This should turn on the reverse lights, if it does, then you need a new park/neutral position switch. If not, then we have a broken wire back to the reverse lights.

Customer :

green/yellow has power when started and in reverse

carguy1 :

Ok, then we have to try and find the broken wire. Or you aren't getting a good ground on the test light back there. Try a bulb back there and see if it lights.

carguy1 :

brb'

Customer :

bulb works only for tail lights, and no power to green yellow. Double checked the ground with the tail light red/blue wire

carguy1 :

ok, then that wire has to be broken

Customer :

where should I start...or do you have a schematic I can follow?

carguy1 :

I am trying to get an idea of at least the first junction where it enters the car

carguy1 :

stand by

carguy1 :

Ok, it makes a connection inside the car on the passenger side

carguy1 :

under the kick panel

carguy1 :

Full Size Image

carguy1 :

I highlighted the connector. You check for power there and see. If it is there, then the issue is behind it inside the car. If not, then it is in the harness before it goes into the car

carguy1 :

This is not the fun part!

Customer :

checked green yellow with car on and in reverse...power is present.....I'm up for more fun now :)

carguy1 :

Power is present in the back of the car at the socket?

Customer :

The only power to the rear socket comes from the tail light circuit, red/blue. None to green yellow. I can test again?

carguy1 :

Nope, that is ok, I just thought you meant there was power now. So you checked the connector inside the car and have power? Now I am understanding correctly?

Customer :

yes, at the kick panel there is power

carguy1 :

Ok, I am back on the same page now! :)

Customer :

is this where the fun begins??? :)

carguy1 :

oh yeah, now we have to follow the wire to the next connection.

Customer :

ok, lead me to it.

carguy1 :

which is up under the dash on the driverside, then goes to the back of the car.

carguy1 :

Well, take the sill plate off the driver side and check to see if that wire is running in the harness along the edge of the carpet in that area.

carguy1 :

If you see it, check it for power :)

carguy1 :

Trying to short cut it.

carguy1 :

any aftermarket stuff in the car?

Customer :

no after market stuff at all

carguy1 :

Ok, good to know. Don't want to be chasing someone else's mistake.

Customer :

ok, i was able to locate green yellow along side drivers side carpet, and we have power!

carguy1 :

Ok, now the wire should be a solid piece back to the trunk so just work your way to the back of the car.

carguy1 :

Might be quicker at this point to work back from the trunk

Customer :

ok, here goes. let you know what i find in a few

carguy1 :

Ok, I will be here!

Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience: 25 years of experience, Certified Subaru Technician and Nissan factory trained.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Please let me know what you find.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 years ago.
Did you find the break in the wire?