Jim
Jim, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  California smog licensed, ASE ceritied in L1, A6, A8 for over 30 years professionally

2005 325i: dealership..ups up to 60k miles..change oil..exhaust

Have 2005 325i BMW: only dealership routine check-ups up to 60K miles. Had local certified mechanic change oil at 60K and 65K. Now, at 65K the oil light comes on after I turn the vehicle off and when I start the vehicle a gray puff of smoke comes from the exhaust. How can this be happening?....
Category: Car
Expert:  Jim replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Jim :

The oil light that is coming on, is it the change oil light or the oil pressure light?

Customer :

its the oil level light, I think

Jim :

What kind of oil are you using? sythenic or regular oil?

Customer :

castrol synthetic

Jim :

Is this the same oil you use everytime? and is it synthetic blend or full synthetic/

Customer :

I don't know what the dealerships used. full synthetic for local meachanics

Jim :

Okay,, so the last change was full synthetic? what was the weight? and the prevoius change before the problems started do we know weight and were both done at the same place?

Customer :

I don't know, but I can ask .. both local facilities

Customer :

Are you still there...

Jim :

Okay, the oil level light coming on. Check and make sure the oil level is correct. We have seen the level sensors and pressure switches fail after changing the oil. Nothing was done wrong during the change it just happens. The puff of gray smoke is oil, the weight may be wrong, so we want to check this. Synthetic oils are great lubercants, the don't create leaks but can find the smallest sealing problems so weight is important.

Jim :

We also want to make sure a synthetic blend was not being used previously, it was you will want to go back to the blend.

Customer :

So are you saying go back to the dealership & both local mechanics: find out the type & wight of oil used. Then go back to the dealership type & weight?

Jim :

Yes.

Customer :

why?

Jim :

Synthetic oils are great lubercants, the don't create leaks but can find the smallest sealing problems so weight is important.

Customer :

Is it because what you start with, you have to continue to use (type & weight)

Customer :

Are you still there...

Jim :

Synthetic oils don't sludge up like regular oils or blended oils. So the weight of the oil is important. It may come to a point that the valve guides or oil rings aren't going to seal completely and a synthetic oil is going to find that and without any repair you might have to change to a regular oil to help that sealing process. When you use a regular oil for any lenght of time in a vehicle you never what to switch to a synthetic oil.

Jim, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: California smog licensed, ASE ceritied in L1, A6, A8 for over 30 years professionally
Expert:  Jim replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.