Jim, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  California smog licensed, ASE ceritied in L1, A6, A8 for over 30 years professionally

2004 GMC Sierra 2500 HD: The oil preasure guage..oil changed

2004 GMC Sierra 2500 HD; The oil preasure guage is suddenly reading 80. I think it's the guage because when I turn the ignition on the guage goes straight to 80. Usually reads @55. Just had the oil changed and the truck has 194000 miles on it. Is there a sensor or something I need to change? It runs great and temp guage reads normal.
Chat Conversation Started
Jim :

You would want to check Powertrain Control Module (PCM) data, Engine Oil Pressure (EOP) sensor value on a scanner. If the value is OK in PCM data, the Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) would be the problem area, if the value was not correct the pressure sensor would be the problem.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
How do I check the pcm data? do I need to take it to the dealer for this? Or the EOP sensor on a scanner? I have a feeling my IPC is probably bad anyway since my speedomoter has been rather creative the last couple of years/especially during rainy weather.
To check the pcm data, you need a scanner that is capable of reading this information. The (EOP) engine oil pressure will have a reading that the scanner is capable of seeing. Some after market shops might have the equipment to check this, if not the dealer would be your option.