Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE & Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 30 years experience.

Was doing an oil while pouring

Was doing an oil change. Had 5 plastic bottles of oil. When filling the first bottle the plastic bottom ring fell into the car while pouring. I can't see it or get to it. Is this a problem or will it become a problem?
Chat Conversation Started
eurotec :

Hi, normally we would try to remove any foreign object that fell into the crankcase rather than take the chance that it will fall harmlessly into the oil pan. You did not mention the year and model of your vehicle but I suggest that you remove the valve cover if possible to try to remove the ring. Chances are no harm will come if you leave it there. The ring is so small that it probably could not interfere with any of the moving parts.

Customer :

What else do you need to know?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have a Mazda 6 wagon 2004 6 cylinder Does that make a difference?
I don't think that makes a difference in the overall risk of leaving the piece of plastic in there. You would need to remove the valve cover to try and extract the piece of plastic. On some motors that is more difficult than others.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
What is the worst that could happen? I woulod have to pay a mechanic and would rather not if possible.
The piece is so soft I really doubt that any harm can come from leaving it there. If it got between the cam and tappet it could possibly hold the valve open a bit to far and it could tag the piston bending the valve. The chances of that happening are extremely remote.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your answers and time.
You're welcome :-)