Mark, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  22 Years Experience...Factory Trained and Certified

2001 Ford Windstar: im replacing the water pump..bolts..crank pulley

Customer Question

I'm replacing the water pump on my 2001 Ford Windstar and I'm having problems accessing the bolts on the bottom because they are behind the crank pulley. Do you have any suggestions besides dropping the engine?
Category: Car
Expert:  Mark replied 6 years ago.
In order to change these pumps you need to raise the engine about 5 inches to gain the necessary clearance, so undo the 2 front engine mounts and attach lifting equipment to the left side exhaust manifold.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Sorry but I don't understand. I would need to lift the engine 12 or more in order for the crank pulley to clear the frame. To do this I would also need to create more clearence at the top of the engine. What do you mean by left exhaust manifold? I have a front and back.
Expert:  Mark replied 6 years ago.

The left side of the engine would make it the front manifold. I don't recall ever having to remove the crank pulley and looking up the procedure, I see there is no mention of having to take the crank pulley off either.

Yes, you will need to create some extra space on the top side by removing the cowl panel.

These are the steps listed for removing the pump....

Remove accessory drive belt. Raise and support vehicle. Remove lower radiator hose. Remove nut on both front engine mounts. Lower vehicle. Remove generator. Disconnect power steering pump pressure hose. Remove cowl top vent panel. Disconnect water by-pass hose. Remove water pump outlet tube retaining bolt, and position tube assembly aside. Attach lifting equipment to left exhaust manifold. Raise engine approximately 5" (127 mm). Remove accessory belt pulley nut, and remove pulley. Remove generator support bracket.
Remove water pump pulley. Remove water pump bolts, nuts and studs, noting location of studs. Remove water pump, lower tube and gasket as an assembly.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Replied but may have done it wrong and am not sure if you recieved it...

Still don't see how to remove lower water pump bolts behind the crank pully. Have made arrangements to lift engine.