Mark, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  22 Years Experience...Factory Trained and Certified

voyager: plymouth..3.8L w/rear air..i replaced hose.(hose had a leak

Customer Question

1999 plymouth gran voyager 3.8L w/rear air. I replaced the suction hose & put in a can of 134 & started it bur compessor will not come fan works switch lights up all fuzes are ok work before i replaced hose.(hose had a leak)
Category: Car
Expert:  Mark replied 6 years ago.
How many ounces of freon did you put in?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I open 1 can & let it in till it stop.started van compessor would not start.check all fuzes & relays & unhook battery.still it will not come on. light on a/c swith is on.

Expert:  Mark replied 6 years ago.

Thanks. How many ounces are in this can?

I don't think you have put enough in, so I'm trying to determine how big a can you used.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I pulled a vacum on it so the system was empty.The can is 12 oz I can oly open the valve & let in until the system is filled & i start the compessor which won't come on & let it pul down the pessure down.

Expert:  Mark replied 6 years ago.
Ok, with the rear air, the system capacity is 46oz. The 12oz you have put in is not enough to get the compressor to run, so you will need to add more.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Once the system = the can pressure you can not force any more in unless you heat the can.12 oz can is all i ever use.This should be enough pressure to trip the compressor to come.
Expert:  Mark replied 6 years ago.

With only 12 oz in the system you have barely filled it to 25% of it's capacity. This is not enough to get the compressor to turn on.

If need be, you can run direct power to the compressor and get it to engage that way and be able to continue filling the system.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It should turn without doing that I have work on a/c systems & all I have ever done is add 1 can & start the engine & add the rest.The a/c was working before I replace the hose.i am sorry you don't help me any.I don't accept your answer.
Expert:  Mark replied 6 years ago.