GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Auto Service Tech
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.

2003 olds alero: 4 cylinder that I just bought..AC..Compressor..blower

I have a 2003 olds alero 4 cylinder that I just bought. First problem, AC charge not holding so the shop I bought it from changed the Compressor and all seemed fine but then I discovered after using for an hour or longer, it was still cold but the blower shut down to about 20% capacity but worked on all settings...just a fraction of what it should. But seemed to get stronger with each notch but all settings WAY too low. The shop changed the blower motor & the resistor. Seemed fine on a drive from Buffalo to Boston and I thought all was fixed until on the way back, after about an hour or longer, same condition. It always works fine until after an hour or longer and it mysteriously loses power on the blower (whether on cool or heat). The shop is as baffled as I am. What could this be? I know if it was resistor, you usually get good air on full setting but nothing on the others. This is not the case. It's like power is cut for all settings by 80%. Very strange.
Category: Car
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 3 years ago.

Hi, I'm Cam. May I ask your first name?
I am working to get you a fast accurate answer. About your vehicle, I would first check the ignition switch and second run a new ground from the blower to the body. Third check the connections for the resistor and controller.

GM Tech (Cam), Auto Service Tech
Experience: GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you Cam. My name isXXXXX will pass this on to the guy who has to do it. It's warranteed but I hate to keep wasting time for him to keep swapping out parts. I will pass this on to him and see. Hopefully this will help. Thank you.

Ok, let me know what you find and ask if you need more on this.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I probably can't get it to him till Saturday but it's not an emergency situation. Even though it's under warranty, they don't seem too good...they try and mean well and have fixed other things in the warranty but it's worth the $23 to get an experts answer and maybe get it handled once and for all. Thank you and I will reply if I need more help on this situation.

Perfect. Have a great weekend.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hello Cam: Well got it in there today here's the status. First, my guy doubted ignition switch...he said usually with that, there's other things going funky which is not the case. He cleaned up ground and checked connections....but here's the interesting part. He didn't think the drain for the AC system was draining properly, pulled the plug and found a piece of glass blocking half. Thinks that was the problem (car was a rebuilt salvage and the windshield was smashed). Said after an hour, without proper draining, the drain line could freeze up (in AC mode or in defrost even on warm). I don't know. Makes sense but I'm no mechanic. Just have to drive it again and see. Thought you might find that one interesting. One of their other mechanics said they had same condition once before and it had something to do with inadequate draining. If that doesn't do the trick, I'll try you back for any other ideas. Hopefully I won't need to. Thanks for your input. don't feel bad if your idea wasn't it. I am very aware at how hard some of these funky problems are to isolate. Be well. Mark

Too much water in there would do this. Yes please reoky back if you need more on this.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
thank you. I'll let you know how it goes after the next road trip which is tomorrow. Best to you. Mark

I look forward to the good news Mark.

Cam