Josh, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  13 years of experience, Factory training for Honda, Hyundai, Kia, Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Saturn
14297198

i have a 2003 hyundai sonata auto transmission 2.4L. the transmission

i have a 2003 hyundai sonata auto transmission 2.4L. the transmission starts to slip when i go about 10 to 20 miles in distance. and then go into a store and come beck out i put the car in reverse and put in back into drive it wont go into drive unless i push the gas up to 1500 rpm. i checked the fluid and its clean and on top of hot after driving it around.
Category: Car
Expert:  Josh replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Josh :

I'm somewhat concerned that you said the fluid is clean, the Hyundai SPIII atf looks dirty when it's new, I assume your vehicle has has dexron based transmission fluid put it in, which while it will cause it to shift differently it shouldn't cause this issue. The problem you're describing is usually a problem with either the torque converter or the transmission fluid pump. Generally we'd replace them as a pair.

JACUSTOMER-0rfh4061- :

ok i was wondering that. it also has 180k miles. my buddy that took the transmission apart told me he couldnt find nothing wrong with the transmission. he said it air checked out and there was nothind burned up or broken inside.

Josh :

Since you already have it apart I'd definately throw in a torque converter and pump before reassembling it.

JACUSTOMER-0rfh4061- :

ok awsome. is it commen probblem?

Josh :

And since he's air checked all the valving and such it's about all that's left.

Josh :

It's not something I see every day, but it happens. Usually these have bad solenoids or burned up clutches more commonly.

JACUSTOMER-0rfh4061- :

so that should fix it. i hate to take it back out.

JACUSTOMER-0rfh4061- :

ok cool i am replaceing all that stuff also

Josh :

If you've verified all of the clutches are in acceptable condition, and he can't find anything mechanically wrong with it, it should take care of it, the symptoms indicate it's a converter or pump issue, but unfortunately there's no real good way to test them with the transmission disassembled.

JACUSTOMER-0rfh4061- :

yeah ok cool thanks that helps a bunch!!!!

Josh :

You're welcome, don't forget to hit the accept button before you leave!

JACUSTOMER-0rfh4061- :

ok thanks