brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,
11021861

My car is making a chirping / grinding type sound when accelerating

Customer Question

My car is making a chirping / grinding type sound when accelerating at low revs. When the revs get higher, I think the chirping gets faster to the point where I cannot notice it.

What could be the problem?
Category: Car
Expert:  brownjeff replied 3 years ago.
What your describing is something the belt would be turning. Remove the belt and start the car and see if the noise goes away. If so then spin each pulley by hand to see if you can feel or hear a noise when turning them. If not you may need to get a stethoscope to pinpoint where the noise is coming from
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
When the car is stationary, it sounds OK. However, it sounds better when the clutch is depressed. It sounds at its worst when the car is moving and accelerating at low revs, at that point if I depress the clutch the sound stops. If I release the clutch the sound returns.
Expert:  brownjeff replied 3 years ago.
Then if moving the clutch changes the sound then the problem is with the throw out bearing or clutch assembly. Either way it is best to replace as an assembly. The clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing all at the same time
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I've just had the car checked by 3 mechanics.

One mechanic said it's the transmission input shaft bearings, the second mechanic said it's the gearbox bearings, and the third mechanic said it's the clutch bearings.

The first seems more logical by saying that if it was the clutch bearings, the noice would start when the clutch is depressed, but in this case, the noise starts when the clutch is not depressed, in neutral or when accelerating at low revs.

So how do I find out what the problem is? Everyone has a different opinion and I do not want to fix what is not broken.

Expert:  brownjeff replied 3 years ago.
EIther way the transmission will need to come out to inspect these items and when removed they will be able to tell which one is failing.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
<p>What's the difference between the transmission input shaft bearing and the gearbox bearing?</p><p>I've also checked the haynes manual for this car, which confirms that if the noise starts when the clutch pedal is depressed, it means it's a possible clutch problem, and if it happens when the clutch is not depressed, it could be a transmission input shaft bearing problem.  My car is making a noise when the clutch is not pressed with the gear in neutral or when the car is in motion as low revs, or when engine braking. Engine braking at low revs causing the most amount of noise.</p>
Expert:  brownjeff replied 3 years ago.
Both bearings in the transmission just in different locations. I still think the problem is in the clutch assembly and the transmission will need to be removed to check that. Also the transmission will need to be removed to inspect the other items
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Why do you think the problem is in the clutch assembly? If it was the clutch assembly, it would start making the noise when the clutch is depressed right? According to the haynes manual anyway, which could be wrong?
Expert:  brownjeff replied 3 years ago.
Depending on the clearance of the bearing from the pressure plate the bearing may still turn just the load change when applying the clutch.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The probably has been fixed. It was the transmission input shaft bearings. Clutch was OK.
Expert:  brownjeff replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the update.