Gary
Gary, Technician
Experience:  GM master tech for 15 years/ASE master tech for 20 years
19513769

2005 montana: 75k..his own cars and he smelled my transmission fluid

I have a 2005 montana with about 75k miles. Recently my transmission did what I call a pop, and then worked fine. I asked a friend who works on his own cars and he smelled my transmission fluid. He said it was really burnt. We discussed a flush, but I have been online looking up this question and some have said if it is burnt, then I am already screwed and if I change the fluid, I may be looking at a new transmission. Some have said if I put new fluid in the crud that may be keeping my transmission going, will leave and I will be in need of a new transmission soon. I am in my 60's and on very limited income... what should I do? Flush or not flush
Category: Car
Expert:  Gary replied 6 years ago.
either way if you flush or do not flush nothing might be able to save this transmission problem.but if you leave in the old burnt fluid the old fluid can not clean and lubricate like it should.i would highly recommend a flush.the flush will clean out all the old partials and crud.its not the days of just dropping the pan and only adding back 3 to 4 quarts of new fluid.the flush kit has a cleaner they will add and run it threw the transmission to clean it out then it acts like a blood transfusion and will remove all the old fluid and partials and crud.then you have all new fluid and then they add an additive after.it is your best shot to save this transmission
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Since you are saying it will save the transmission, where should I go and what do you think the cost will be.
Expert:  Gary replied 6 years ago.
I am saying it is your best chance to save the transmission.most shops out there perform this service.Pep Boys.Auto Zone ect... it usually will run no more than 150 to 175 tops.depends if they are running specials.most of the time they have transmission flush specials