Mark, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  22 Years Experience...Factory Trained and Certified

2001 Dodge Grand Caravan sport: drove..Transmission fluid..light came

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Dodge Grand Caravan sport I heard a humming sound but was not sure what it was so I drove it some and when I came to a stop it had a hard time shifting so I went straight to the Auto store for Transmission fluid on my way there the transmission light came on. Put fluid in and started to drive no noise and shifted ok for a bit but then stared humming and shifting got rough. Have i ruined the transmission
Category: Car
Expert:  Mark replied 6 years ago.

Ok, it sounds like your transmission might be in limp mode. This will also cause the light to turn on and a fault code to be stored. The fault code will let us know where the problem is.

Many parts stores will read the codes for free for you, so I would suggest you start there and reply back with the 4 digit code number when you have it and we can go from there.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
This did not tell me what I need to know. I needed to know if it was ok to drive to the part store
Expert:  Mark replied 6 years ago.

Yes it would have been ok to go to the store.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I do not accept this answer. If the light is on and the transmission is rough and slipping I could do more damage and you did not ask me about the fluid.
Expert:  Mark replied 6 years ago.
Best of luck with this.