Amedee
Amedee, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

2002 Toyota sequoia: front brakes..What did i miss..fluids..way down

I just replaced my front brakes on my 2002 Toyota Sequia and now the brakes are not working. What did i miss? I have put in brake fluids, have replaced the brakes exactly like the old ones but when I pump the brakes it goes all the way down the floor. Do I have to replace the rear brakes also to get it working?
Category: Car
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
AMEDEE :

Hello!

AMEDEE :

Did you still need help?

AMEDEE :

Did you open up the hydualic system at all?

AMEDEE :

Did you replace just the pads and rotors or did you replace the calipers?

Customer :

yes i open the hydrualic system and i only replace the pads

AMEDEE :

Ok... why did you open the hydrualic system?

Customer :

i even took the batery charge so that the computer will reset but still the breaks still go all the way to the floor

AMEDEE :

If you are just replacing pads, there is no reason to open the hydraulic system

AMEDEE :

THis is most likley because you need ot bleed the brakes

AMEDEE :

Have you tried ot bleed the brakes?

AMEDEE :

If not, this needs to be done

Customer :

so i could put some brake fluids in it

AMEDEE :

This is why your brake pedal goes ot the floor

AMEDEE :

No

AMEDEE :

You need ot bleed the brakes

AMEDEE :

The brake system has air in it

Customer :

how do i bleed it?

AMEDEE :

IT is real simple

AMEDEE :

Fill the brake

AMEDEE :

Fluid all the way up

AMEDEE :

and have an assistant

AMEDEE :

Step on the brake pedal

AMEDEE :

while you open up one of the bleeders

AMEDEE :

After the brake pedal goes ot the floor

AMEDEE :

then close the bleeder up and

AMEDEE :

Have them release the brake pedal

AMEDEE :

Then continue to do this until all of the air is out of the system

AMEDEE :

Do this on both sides until you get nothing but fluid out

Customer :

where are the bleeders located?

AMEDEE :

This will fix your brake pedal probnlem

AMEDEE :

ON the calipers

AMEDEE :

IT is a 8 or 10 mm bolt on the calipers

Customer :

which part?

AMEDEE :

MAybe a 3/8

AMEDEE :

The caliper that holds the brake pads in it

AMEDEE :

THat has the brake bleeder

AMEDEE :

In it

Customer :

is the hose conected to the brakes?

AMEDEE :

Or on top of it

AMEDEE :

YES

AMEDEE :

But your not doing anything with the hose

AMEDEE :

Just the brake bleeder

AMEDEE :

I DO hope you found my Answer to be helpful regarding your vehicles condition. IF SO-please hit **ACCEPT** as you read this Answer, in order that I may receive credit for my time, thanks. BONUSES & Positive Feedback Most appreciated!

Please Note: I receive ZERO Credit until & unless you choose to ACCEPT my well thought-out Answer.

REGARDS

AMEDEE

Customer :

i need to detach the hose?

AMEDEE :

Just leave the wheel off

AMEDEE :

Then crack open the bleeder

AMEDEE :

and have an assistant push the brake pedal down

AMEDEE :

and then close the bleeder up

AMEDEE :

and then have them lift up on the pedal

AMEDEE :

Then repeat this proccess

AMEDEE :

And this will take care of your low brake pedal

Customer :

i will accept the answer when I get the brakes working thanks

AMEDEE :

Here is a link

AMEDEE :

http://www.google.com/#q=how+to+bleed+brakes&hl=en&prmd=iv&source=univ&tbs=vid:1&tbo=u&am p;ei=nZamTM7MGIibnAfovdyQAQ&sa=X&oi=video_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1&sqi=2&ved=0CB4QqwQwAA&fp=fe813b4141c2111f

AMEDEE :

Put this is your URL

AMEDEE :

This is a google search of how to bleed brakes

AMEDEE :

You cna watch vidoes on it

AMEDEE :

IT is really simple

AMEDEE :

I hope this helps. You can always accept my answer now, and repost back again later on if you have any more questions. If you want to discuss it some more just hit "reply", it's free to do so otherwise don't forget to hit "accept" and leave positive feedback if you found my answer helpful.

Regards

AMEDEE

Customer :

`Amedee, we got it working thanks

Amedee, ASE Master Tech
Experience: ASE Master Tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector