Amedee
Amedee, Former ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

1989 OLDS CUTLASS: THIS FOR A FEW TIMES THEN IT WONT START AT ALL.

HOPE YOU CAN HELP HAVE A 1989 OLDS CUTLASS W/2.8 PROBLUM: STARTS UP RUNS FOR AFEW MOMENTS THEN STOPS. IT WILL DO THIS FOR A FEW TIMES THEN IT WONT START AT ALL. CHANGED THE FOLLOWING PARTS. FUEL PUMP AND STRANER, FUEL FILTER, CRANK SENSER, COIL MODUAL, SPARK PLUGS AND WIRES, E.C.M WITH PROM. STILL THE SAME PROBLUM. USED A NOID LIGHT TO SEE PULS AT INJECTOR NOTICED THAT THE LIGHT WAS BRIGHT THEN DIMMED OUT THEN STALLED IS THIS A BAD GROUND PROBLUM?? PLEASE HELP THANKS MARK
Category: Car
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
AMEDEE :

Hello!

AMEDEE :

Did you still need help?

AMEDEE :

Does the engine continue to run with starting fluid?

AMEDEE :

Are there any codes in the computer?

Customer:

yes runs with starting fluid no there is no codes

AMEDEE :

What is the fuel pressure at?

Customer:

40 psi

AMEDEE :

SOunds to me like you just have bad fuel injectors.

AMEDEE :

They short out causing this problem

AMEDEE :

Disconnect it and with an ohmmeter, check resistance between pins A and D, then B and C. Should have between 4-5 ohms on each pair of wires.

If resistance is lower than 4 ohms, then the upper plenum will have to be removed and each injector resistance checked individually. Each injector should ohm between 12-12.5. Anything below 12, and it should be replaced.

AMEDEE :

I hope this helps. You can always accept my answer now, and repost back again later on if you have any more questions. If you want to discuss it some more just hit "reply", it's free to do so otherwise don't forget to hit "accept" and leave positive feedback if you found my answer helpful.

Regards

AMEDEE

Customer:

ill give it a try will let you know what happens  thanks  mark