Amedee
Amedee, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

My 91 Integra will not crank start..Starter..tested good

My 91 Integra will not crank start. Starter does not turn. Starter was tested good. The car will run if pushed started. I tried the jumper, still will not crank. Battery terminals are clean.
Category: Car
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
AMEDEE :

Hello!

First thing to do is check the battery. A fully charged battery must have enough cranking capacity to provide the starter motor and ignition system with enough power to start the engine over a broad range of ambient temperatures. Even if its charged, it could still be bad causing a no crank condition! I would rec to get it load tested at a shop or at a battery store. A battery load test will verify the actual cranking capability of the battery. This is the best test. Or you can take a voltmeter and put it on the battery and crank the engine over. (Be sure the battery has a full charge on it.) If the volts drop below 9.6, the battery is bad and needs to be replaced! Just be sure all cable connections are clean and tight. Not only at the battery, but on the starter, engine and frame! Positive side as well as the negative side.

If all checks out, make sure that you have battery voltage on both terminals of the starter when cranking. If full battery voltage (12.6 volts) is present and the starter is not working, then the starter is bad and will need to be replaced! Just be sure all fuses small regular and large size fuses are good under the hood, as well as inside the vehicle

AMEDEE :

I DO hope you found my Answer to be helpful regarding your vehicles condition. IF SO-please hit **ACCEPT** as you read this Answer, in order that I may receive credit for my time, thanks. BONUSES & Positive Feedback Most appreciated!

Please Note: I receive ZERO Credit until & unless you choose to ACCEPT my well thought-out Answer.

REGARDS

AMEDEE

Customer:

I have tried to jumpstart from a Tundra with the engine running. The started was tested good at Kragen. I watched it turn. Fuses are all good.

AMEDEE :

Have you checked battery voltage ot the starter with the key in the crank position?

Customer:

Should the voltage matter when you are jumpstarting?

AMEDEE :

If not, this would be the next step.

AMEDEE :

What do you mean voltage matter?

AMEDEE :

Where?

AMEDEE :

At the battery?

AMEDEE :

Of course

AMEDEE :

You need to have a good strong battery

AMEDEE :

Like I described ealier

Customer:

The car will run with a totally bad battery if jumpstarted.

AMEDEE :

If the battery is nice and strong...

AMEDEE :

YUP!

AMEDEE :

For a little bit

AMEDEE :

If the engine starts with a jump

AMEDEE :

Either he battery is bad

AMEDEE :

Or there is a bad connection at the battery

Customer:

The truck giving the jumpstart is running.

AMEDEE :

It is as simple as that

AMEDEE :

So a jump start will do the trick?

Customer:

NO, jumpstart will not even do the trick.

AMEDEE :

Oh... your saying that the vehicle that is being used to jump it is running?

AMEDEE :

That is what you are suppse to do

AMEDEE :

THis means that chances are that it is not a battery issue

AMEDEE :

You are most likely not getting batteyr voltage ot the starter

AMEDEE :

You probably just have a bad clutch pedal posiiton switch

AMEDEE :

Just double check this with a voltmeter at the startter

AMEDEE :

Does that make sense?

AMEDEE :

Here is a wiring diagram.

Customer:

What is the possibility of having a bad ignition switch?

AMEDEE :

IT is possible.... but then usually nothing will power up.

Customer:

I have the whole wiring diagram. I have repair manual the dealers use.

AMEDEE :

But you can double check this at the clutch pedal switch

AMEDEE :

Good

AMEDEE :

Then just check power at the clutch switch

AMEDEE :

With the key in the crnak position

AMEDEE :

If there is no power

AMEDEE :

Then chances are the ignition switch is bad

AMEDEE :

This does happen

AMEDEE :

But not very often

Customer:

OK. I'll try that.

AMEDEE :

I hope this helps. You can always accept my answer now, and repost back again later on if you have any more questions. If you want to discuss it some more just hit "reply", it's free to do so otherwise don't forget to hit "accept" and leave positive feedback if you found my answer helpful.

Customer:

Thanks.

Amedee, ASE Master Tech
Experience: ASE Master Tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector