DBranch, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Factory trained Silver Certified Land Rover Technician. 7 years of automotive experience.

Land Rover..I drove something earlier today when it was raining (

Customer Question

I own a Land Rover LR3, 1997. I drove something earlier today when it was raining (didn't see it under the water). It was a big branch. But now when I turn the car (sharp turns only) a noise (like rapid beating of the tire, or it slipping on the road) comes from under the car. You can feel the jerking in the steering wheel. I had a friend listen from outside of the care and he says it is coming from the center underneath. He thinks it is the u-joint. What could this be?
Category: Car
Expert:  DBranch replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
DBranch :

Welcome to JA. I am assuming this is a disco 1 since they didnt make the LR3 in 97. Correct me if I am wrong. If you ran over something what you will want to do is check the tires and the wheels. Make sure there are not knots or bulgers on the tires and make sure none of the wheels are bent. Turn the wheel all the way to where it makes the noise and make sure it is not hitting anything. Such as the suspension etc. You could have bent a control arm or the tie rods or track bar. So just do a visual and look for anything obvious. Also check the play on the driveshaft in the front. If it moves up and down then you could have a bad pinion bearing. Also lift up the front end an wiggle the front tires back and forth with your hands to check for play in the tie rod ends. Then move it up and down to check for play. Most likely you will find an issue with one of these things. It is hard to pinpoint it exactly without doing these things first. Thanks Daniel

DBranch :

I see that you replied but I am not getting anything on my screen so please resend. Thanks

DBranch :

I am still not getting anything let me switch it to a regular q and a and not a chat. Sorry.-

Expert:  DBranch replied 6 years ago.
Ok got it switch please reply via a link in your email. Thanks