Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIANCE, AUTO AND TRUCK,FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DIESEL
17454363

Road trip..Land Rover..problems shifting only into first gear

Hello. A friend of mine is currently on a road trip driving a 1993 Land Rover Defender 110. He is currently having problems shifting only into first gear. Is that a sign that the clutch needs to be replaced or is it not that major? I've been reading a lot about shift linkage. Would that be something he can stop and gets fixed while he waits?

Thanks for any help!
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 6 years ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX could be a clutch problem, 1st gear is the lowest, so it will be the first gear to show a weak clutch, have him pump the clutch 2 or 3 times before shifting and see if its easier, if it is, then its in the clutch, the only other thing that will cause only first gear problems, is the syncro in the transmission, Tim
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
If its a syncro problem, is that a while you wait fix? Depending, of course, if parts are available?
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 6 years ago.
No, the transmission will need to come out and apart to fix a syncro,Tim