Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Mechanic
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

How do I get front discs off my frontera?

Customer Question

Category: Car
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 4 years ago.

hi

the rotor will come right off after you remove the caliper

thanks

Brake Disc (Rotor)

• REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

Removal & Installation

CAUTION Dust and dirt accumulating on brake parts during normal use may contain asbestos fibers from production or aftermarket brake linings. Breathing excessive concentrations of asbestos fibers can cause serious bodily harm. Exercise care when servicing brake parts. Do not sand or grind brake lining unless equipment used is designed to contain the dust residue. Do not clean brake parts with compressed air or by dry brushing. Cleaning should be done by dampening the brake components with a fine mist of water, then wiping the brake components clean with a dampened cloth. Dispose of cloth and all residue containing asbestos fibers in an impermeable container with the appropriate label. Follow practices prescribed by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) for the handling, processing, and disposing of dust or debris that may contain asbestos fibers.

1. Raise and safely support the vehicle.
  2. Remove the front wheel and tire assembly.
  3. Unbolt the caliper and suspend it with a piece of wire. Do NOT let the caliper hang by the brake hose.
  4. Remove the rotor.
  5. Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure.

Brake Calipers

• REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

Removal & Installation

1. Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
  2. Raise and safely support the vehicle. Remove the front wheels.
  3. Remove some brake fluid from the master cylinder reservoir.
  4. Disconnect and plug the brake fluid line from the caliper.
  5. Remove the brake caliper mounting bolt and guide bolt and remove the caliper from the mount. The brackets can be removed for additional work space.
  6. Remove the brake pads and clips from the caliper. Inspect the brake pads for wear; replace them, if necessary.

7. FIG : Front caliper and related parts

image

8. To install:

1. Install the brake pads and clips onto the caliper.
    2. If the caliper bracket was removed, tighten the bolts to 115 ft. lbs. (155 Nm).
    3. Install the caliper on the mounting bracket. Torque the caliper-to-mounting bracket bolts to 33 ft. lbs. (45 Nm).
    4. Connect the fluid line to the caliper using new washers. Torque the brake line banjo fitting to 26 ft. lbs. (35 Nm).
      WARNING Be sure the hook end of the flexible brake line is positioned in the anti-rotation cavity.
    5. Refill the master cylinder reservoir and bleed the brake system.
    6. Install the front wheels and lower the vehicle.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I got calliper off and there is no way to remove disc?

you may need to tap the rotor a little with a hammer to loosen it up if it is sieged on

thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have taken caliper off but what attatches the wheel is stopping me from removing brake discs?

please explain...does it have the little clips on the wheel studs..if so..just cut them off with a chisel..not the studs but the tin clips

thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The disc sits behind a plate which the wheel studs are attatched to, the disc will not pass this plate?

oh..ok..you are talking about the caliper bracket...you will need to remove the bracket that the caliper bolts to

thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok I have tried this, it would help alot if you gave me your phone number and I could send you a picture then speak to you over phone so I could explain. There will be no problem with me paying you.

Thanks

ok..we can not give a phone # XXXXX you can send pictures by clicking the tree icon on our conversation box
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi

sorry cant dont have camera cable. the plate that the wheel bolts onto sits against the disc holding the disc in place there are no screws or bolts only a cover which hides a splined rod and surclip i need the plate that holds the wheel off to remove the disc

ok

i will opt out...maybe one of the other guys has better pictures and info to help yo better...someone will be with you

Expert:  Robert replied 4 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

Removal procedure is as below once you have removed the caliper carrier.the whole hub assembly needs to come off to get at the bolts holding the disc to hub on the inner side..