Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.

1995 chevy astro: v6..driving down..the road and suddenly lost power

Customer Question

i have a 1995 chevy astro van v6. motor. i was driving down the road and suddenly lost power. the lights on the dashboard turned on real bright before all power was lost. it hasnt started since. its getting fuel but no spark to the spark plugs. i put a new distributor cap on it and a new ignition silinoid. theres spark to the dis. but not to the spark plug wires. i cant figure it out.
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
tims auto repair :

so..you have a spark from the coil to the distributer cap..right?

Customer :

yes

tims auto repair :

replace the rotor and the cap

tims auto repair :

these vortec engines are bad about burning up the rotor

tims auto repair :

usally from bad plug wires

Customer :

lready did it doesnt leave dis cap to the spark plugs

tims auto repair :

please ACCEPT my answer so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..ism not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

tims auto repair :

sometimes..a weak ignition coil will also cause this

Customer :

it tests good

tims auto repair :

but,,the problem is right there

tims auto repair :

what test good?

Customer :

the coil

tims auto repair :

ok

tims auto repair :

replace the rotor and cap..if this dont let you get a spark to the wires....replace the coil..even if it does ohm well

Customer :

ok

tims auto repair :

tims auto repair :

the ohm test isnt always true

tims auto repair :

sense you can not duplicate the high voltage

tims auto repair :

Customer :

ill try it

tims auto repair :