Experience:  Manager/co-owner at Autotronic

Cj5: hesitates..Ive replaced the fuel filter..rebuilt..carb

Customer Question

idles fine at around 45-50 MPH the engine back fires and hesitates cj5 76 258 I've replaced the fuel filter. I have a rebuilt carb. Everything is fine right up to 45 MPH while in the third gear (three speed) below 45 it operates fine
Category: Car
Expert:  nabilc replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Billy :

backfire means a lean mixture. So if you're confident that the carb is good you need to change the fuel pump

Customer: I'll pull the fuel pumpm
Billy :

If the answer is satisfactory, make sure to hit the accept button so i get paid for my time. Thank you, Billy

replaced the fuel pump while I was at the store also changed dist cap plugs and wires still did not fix the problem. bypassed the fuel tank and ran fuel can directly to to pump still having the same problem

Billy :

In that case i think or the cam actuating the fuel pump is worn, or there's a problem with your carb.