jan73
jan73, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  ASE certified, 7 years of european high-line car experience
1689875

How do you fix a key remote problem on a 2002 Range Rover

Customer Question

How do you fix a key remote problem on a 2002 Range Rover? I replaced the battery and since then the remote for the key never worked but the car did start. Then one day the doors automatically locked and now it will not start period and the remote is not sync with the vehicle. I've tried some of the suggestions I've found on the web but with no luck. Any help would be appreciated.
Category: Car
Expert:  nabilc replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Billy :

ok..lock the vehicle using the key, then press the unlock button and whilst pressing it unlock the car using the key.

Billy :

next time make sure you change the batteries within 1 minute ;)

Billy :

keep me updated so i know my answer is satisfactory, and in that case click the ACCEPT button so i get paid for my time, and kindly leave good feedback as i will do to you.

JACUSTOMER-rdmp0i42- :

Sorry for both of us buddy it did not work. It is actually a 2002 not 2001 if that makes a difference. The Sears delership disconnected the battery for several hours because the replacement didn't fit. Any other suggestions. I've heard a lot of suggestions but nothing that works.

Billy :

You need to take it to a Land Rover dealer to have it reprogrammed.

JACUSTOMER-rdmp0i42- :

I can't get a tow truck up my drive way. there has to be another way?

Billy :

you can get a technician, to come with a scantool to program it onsite....will cost you more though

JACUSTOMER-rdmp0i42- :

Thank you for the advice. Unfortunately that is not what I was looking for. Take care.

Expert:  Tom replied 6 years ago.
Do you still need help? Have you tried unlocking the drivers door or passenger door 2 times from the outside to see if the alarm resets.
Expert:  jan73 replied 6 years ago.
Actually the remote has to be programmed manually, not with a scanner.
Here's the procedure:
- manually lock driver side door, hold key to lock position and press lock button
- then manually unlock driver side door, hold key to unlock position and press unlock button.
While performing these, the turn signal should flash, and after you're done, the remote should work.

If there is a problem with the remote control system (remote fob, AR receiver), you should still be able to de-activate the alarm by manually unlocking the driver side door. If you're unable to do that, the driver side door latch is bad most likely.