Mark
Mark, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  22 Years Experience...Factory Trained and Certified

My 2005 dodge neon sxt 4cyl 2.

My 2005 dodge neon sxt 4cyl 2.0l engine light came on when I gave it gas the car started bucking
Category: Car
Expert:  Mark replied 3 years ago.

The most common issue with these engines is bad plugs and wires. However, you should start by finding out what fault code has been set.

If you need any thing further please reply.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
what is a fault code and how do I find it?
Expert:  Mark replied 3 years ago.

Whenever the check engine light turns on, the computer stores a fault code. If will begin with a "P" and then a 4 digit number. You might be able to get the code by sitting inside with the door closed and then turn the key ON OFF ON OFF ON.....leaving it on. Watch the mileage display and see if it changes to show a code number.

If this does not work, then many parts stores will read the code for you for free by connecting a hand held code reader to the vehicle. Once we know the code, it will help to pinpoint where the problem is.

If you get the code number and need help with what to do next just keep replying right here.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The code came up as p0340 now what?
Expert:  Mark replied 3 years ago.

Ok, good. That code indicates a problem with the camshaft position sensor. This sensor is located on the driver's side end of the cylinder head. It is a pretty safe bet to simply replace this sensor. It's held in place with 4 10mm bolts.

Disconnecting the battery will turn the light off after the sensor is replaced.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
where do purchase this sensor?
Expert:  Mark replied 3 years ago.
Your local parts store.....like Autozone, if you have one......will carry this sensor, and of course your local Dodge dealer as well.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So you dont think its the plugs or wires or even a fuel pump, filter problem or a cat. converter problem should I try the sensor first?
Expert:  Mark replied 3 years ago.
The computer has identified a problem with the cam sensor, so this is where you need to start.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok I guess I will try the sensor first I lost my job last Nov.and was at a red light coming from an interview when the car engine light came on and the darn thing stated to buck when I gave it gas I thank you for your help and pray its not an expensive part
Expert:  Mark replied 3 years ago.

You're very welcome. They are not very expensive so you are in luck.

If you need anything else feel free to reply and if you can hit the ACCEPT button, the site will give me credit for assisting you today.

Thx again.

Mark, Auto Service Technician
Experience: 22 Years Experience...Factory Trained and Certified