Gary, Technician
Experience:  GM master tech for 15 years/ASE master tech for 20 years

A 1991 Chev 4x4 silverado extended cab 1/2 ton..running fine..reverse

I just purchased a 1991 Chev 4x4 silverado extended cab 1/2 ton and the transmission has a problem.

The previous owner said the truck was running fine when he stopped at a stop sign. After stopping the truck would not move foward. It will drive in reverse just fine.
It will not drive foward in any gear.

the previous owner said it had a transmission leak and he had it repaired I dont know how long ago.
What is wrong how can I fix it.
Category: Car
Expert:  Gary replied 6 years ago.
is the trans fluid clean and full?checking it with the engine running and warm?will it move if you shift it into Low?Low2?or nothing at all except reverse?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

The truck has clean fluid and it is full

Nothing at all except reverse.

Expert:  Gary replied 6 years ago.
ok more than likely there is an internal failure of either the valve body spool valves binding.if the valve body has no spool valves binding then it will have to come out and apart and inspect the input drum and forward clutches to start.since you have reverse the transmission pump should be ok and if the fluid is clean and full and it is physically shifting into drive and it will not move it is inside the transmission
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
If the valve body spool valves are binding how can I resolve it
Expert:  Gary replied 6 years ago.
either bringing the valve body to a transmission shop and have them rebuild it or replace it.if it is a deeper problem than that it will be allot cheaper to install a used trans V/S buying a new transmission or having you old transmission rebuilt