Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician

common for a valve body..worn..my vectra 04 dti has done 120000 miles

can you tell me if it is common for a valve body on auto gearboxes to become worn out? my vectra '04 dti has done 120000 miles. would this be classed as fair wear and tear or could it possibly be caused by a minor defect of some kind?
Category: Car
Expert:  Tom replied 3 years ago.
What make and model?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
vauxhall vectra, DTI, 04 plate, auto.
Expert:  Tom replied 3 years ago.
Yes it is common . What are the actual symptoms you are having?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
the fault has already happened and been repaired. i bought the car from a dealership, and the gearbox packed up 3 weeks later. the dealership are denying its their responsibilty to cover the costs as they class it as fair wear and tear. I'm trying to establish if this is classed as fair wear and tear or if it could be a defect?
Expert:  Tom replied 3 years ago.
It's definately a faulty repair or rebuild and they are responsible . How long ago was the repair done?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no no, the car is fine now. i'm trying to find out if the original fault (3 weeks after purchase) was fair wear and tear or possibly a defect?

Expert:  Tom replied 3 years ago.
No that was a factory defect not from wear and tear . Normal wear and tear happens after 60,000 plus miles.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

as i already said though, the car had done 120,000 miles when i bought it. does that mean that any fault that might occur would be classed as fair wear and tear? I'm trying to establish if it was possibly a defect that caused the valve body to become worn rather than fair wear and tear?

Expert:  Tom replied 3 years ago.
It all depends on service . Sorry for any confusion thought you had it since it was new. This is most likely just normal wear and tear since it happend at 120,000 miles. You should be fine for another 120,000. It's not a defect . If it failed before the car had 60,000 miles then it would be more of a defect .
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Certified Master Technician