Peter the Car Eater
Peter the Car Eater, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Nissan Senior Specialist, over 10 years automotive experience all makes and models
49412651

Toyota land cruiser: overheated..radiator to cool..restart..clogged

I seriously overheated the engine on my Toyota Landcruiser 100 series and took it to my local mechanic. I told him what I had done and that I would wait for hours for the radiator to cool and then restart the engine and drive a couple of kilometres and so on.

He told me that the radiator was completely clogged and would need to be replaced.

I agreed, and they put in a new radiator. The invoice says that they:- New Radiator, Top Hose, Thermostat, Thermostat Gasket, Cooling system pressure flush replace coolant and bleed system, Labour to remove and refit radiator top hose thermostat and gasket. $832.50. Which I paid.

I drove the car for about 20km over a one week period ? just local every other day. I told the mechanic that it was running very rough and he told me to change the spark plugs. It was still running rough.

I was driving and noticed the temp gauge skyrocketing again so I immediately stopped and water was pouring out the bottom. I was only 1km from mechanic so waited for engine to cool and drove it there. The bottom had blown out of the week-old radiator and he said I needed a new one and the head gasket must need replacing. They put another radiator in: Invoice says New radiator, labour to remove and refit, radiator and pressure test cooling system $500.

Should the mechanic have pressure tested the system after the first radiator was installed and would the gasket/head have been detected then. I feel that I have purchased a second radiator unnecessarily.

Thanks
Annette Nicholls
Category: Car
Expert:  Peter the Car Eater replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Peter the Car Eater :

To make sure there were no leaks present, I would have performed a pressure test after installing the new radiator. However they didn't charge you for a pressure test the first time. The blown head gasket still might not have been detected depending on which part of the gasket failed. At any rate, the radiator should have been covered by some kind of warranty.