Dave Nova
Dave Nova, ASE Certified Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

1995 Buick Park Avenue: 3.8L, Climate Control..vin..check engine light

Hello, I have a 1995 Buick Park Avenue, 3.8L, Climate Control, non-supercharged, vin: 1G4CW52K8SH662450. Last several days the check engine light will intermittently illuminate and go off. No pattern to it. When the light is on, the speed indicator goes dead, the car has reduced power, and it won't shift to a higher gear. Today it wouldn't upshift even though the indicator didn't come on. D.I.Y code scanners won't link up. Bick dealership won't touch the car unless they can sell an expensive package of repair's costs. If you can help, I would greatly appreaciate your thoughts. Thank you.
Category: Car
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 6 years ago.

The 1995 buick is a bit of an oddball with the on board diagnostics. It is an obd1 system with an obd2 connector and takes a speciial scan tool to connect to the computer. From the symptoms you have described, it sounds like you have a failing vehicle speed sensor on the transmission. This sensor is located on the transmission, near where the passenger side axle exits the transmission.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here