Master Tech Matt
Master Tech Matt, ASE and Chrysler Master Technician
Experience:  20 years automotive experience, Factory trained by Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge, and Toyota
18188794

2008 Saab: I have always drove Honda Civics and the one I have..000 mi

Customer Question

have a chance to buy a 2008 Saab 9-3 won with 60,000mi on it for $10,000. I have always drove Honda Civics and the one I have now has 220,000 mi and is still going strong. I have had it since 120,000 mi and have not needed any real repairs except for routine stuff. I guess I'm wondering if I get this Saab and take care of it can I expect the kind of reliability I've gotten from the honda and that I will safely get to say 160,000 or so or more. I don't make much money and don't want to get stuck paying a lot for repairs. So is it worth getting?
Category: Car
Expert:  Master Tech Matt replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Master Tech Matt :

The short answer is no. While of course there is no way to know for sure, the odds of the Saab making it to even 100,000 miles without needing what I am assuming would be a costly repair to you, coming from a Honda are nearly zero. Expect at least $1000 in yearly maintenance and repair starting at your 60,000 mile purchase, through 100,000, after that expect $2000 yearly through 150,000.

JACUSTOMER-hvbj1npx- :

Would it be smarter to buy a 2006 Civic with 98,000 mi?

JACUSTOMER-hvbj1npx- :

I forgot to mention that the saab is in perfect condition and the civic isn't far off

Sorry about the delay, technical difficulties with the site. Yes the Civic would be a much better choice if you are looking for the most inexpensive transportation over the long run.