Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
3827149

in just put a new transmission in to my land rover disc 2

Customer Question

in just put a new transmission in to my land rover disc 2 and it will not move still
Category: Car
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Was this a salvage transmission?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes from a car that was driving when pulled
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Ok was it from the same year and model? Is the engine light on ? Have you checked transmission pressure readings ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes same car year every thing checked to make sure the same tanny number on name plate even filled it with 12 quarts tanny fluid
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
So there is no engine light on ? Pressure is good?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes service engine light on that's it and don't know how to test tge pressure in transmission but we drove it up and pulled it out so I seen the trans working before I installed it in my rover
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Ok what's the code stored ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Change engine oil I looked it up already
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Can you let me know the if it was a P0700 code or the code number.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I don't habr the code reader with me any more can I get thr code on the dash by cycleing the key
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
No you would need the code reader for this. It's very possible there is a connector crossed or not connected causing this was this checked.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I checked all the connections and they are all done right they only go one way any how
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Ok well if it does not move it's either an electronic or mechanical issue . Also is the shifter cable connected correctly?Could be in the wrong position.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Checked the wires all and all good
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Need to check shifter and gear selector switch and if I had the code we can pinpoint the issue.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok I'll get the reader again tomorrow and find out what the code is I have tryed it in h and l range and no change
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Ok keep me posted will get to the bottom of this .
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok so I have never used this site before how do I get ahold of you again with the codes
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Just add to the question tomorrow . Even after the accept I will continue to work at no further charge until we get this diagnosed correctly .
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok got the reader again and hear are tge two codes po722 and p0734
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
P0722 is refering to an output speed sensor circuit or sensor failure
P0734 is for the input speed sensor check the wiring to these sensors or swap these sensors over from the other transmission this is the issue they can be damaged from the install . These are the next steps . Hoped this helped. Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated .
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok I switched the wires around and tge codes are clear and the light is off on the dash but the car still will not move
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Ok did you make sure the fluid level is correct and there is pressure internal in the transmission .
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The fluid is full 11 quarts new fluid
So how do I check the pressure on the transmission
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
You would need to use a special transmission gauge that hooks up to the test port on the transmission . Either the dealer or transmission shop will have that tool . Since we got the light out I would drain and fill the transmission and make sure it's at the correct level and disconnect the battery to see if it resets .If not it's an internal issue . These are the next steps . Hoped this helped. Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Certified Master Technician
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok already drained an refilled it so I'll do the battery disconnect now
It's weired because I can hear the idol change when I shift it into gear and out of gear so I know its putting a load on the motor
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Ok let me know if it resets.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
How long do I leave it the battery disconnected
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
I would leave it disconnected for at least a half hour.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I left it for a hour and it did not change any thing an I checked the linkage and it's moveing the lever on the transmission
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Ok then this has to be an internal issue . If the engine light is still off then it's an internal issue or possibly ECM related .