hauto
hauto, Technician
Experience:  15 year hands on technician experince, associate degree in automotive technologhy
24868125

2000 olds bravada: 117,000 miles..turning right..shudder..wheel drive

I recently purchased a 2000 olds bravada with 117,000 miles. I have noticed that when I am turning right or left the car seems to "shudder". A mechanic told me that it sounds like theXXXXXmight be locked in and that's what is causing this problem.
Category: Car
Expert:  hauto replied 3 years ago.

the condition is almost common, and GM has introduced a service bulletin to address this concern, a copy of it is below.

the case and concern are listed below too

Cause

This condition may be caused by a slip-stick of the clutch plates in the transfer case clutch pack. On 1999 to 2002 models, the preload that is designed into the clutch pack may contribute to the condition. In addition, contamination of the fluid may interfere with the friction modifiers.

Correction

Flush and replace the transfer case fluid on affected vehicles using the following procedure and the part number listed below.

Perform the following diagnosis prior to flushing and replacing the transfer case fluid in order to properly identify the shudder

Bulletin No.: 99-04-21-005E

Date: November 28, 2005

TECHNICAL

Subject:
Transfer Case Shudder (Flush and Replace Transfer Case Fluid)

Models:
1999-2005 Chevrolet Astro (AWD)
1999-2005 GMC Safari (AWD)
1999-2001 Oldsmobile Bravada

with All-Wheel Drive (NV 136) Transfer Case (RPO NP4)

Supercede:

This bulletin is being revised to update the correction information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 99-04-21-005D (Section 04 - Driveline/Axle).

Condition

Some customers may comment on a vibration (shudder) during tight turning maneuvers on dry pavement at vehicle speeds less than 8 km/h (5 mph).

Cause

Correction

Perform the following diagnosis prior to flushing and replacing the transfer case fluid in order to properly identify the shudder.

Diagnosis

1.Verify the shudder in the vehicle. The vehicle needs to be at operating temperature (driven at least 8 km (5 mi) for proper diagnosis. After the vehicle is at operating temperature, drive in a tight circle just short of steering wheel lock, at a speed less than 8 km/h (5 mph) in order to identify the shudder.

2.Identify what rear axle type the vehicle has.

^If the vehicle has a standard rear axle, then proceed to step 3.

^If the vehicle has a locking rear axle, remove the front propeller shaft. Refer to the Propeller Shaft subsection in the Service Manual. Drive the vehicle as outlined in step 1.

^If the shudder goes away, install the front propeller shaft and proceed to step 3. Refer to the Propeller Shaft subsection in the Service Manual.

^If the shudder does not go away, the locking rear axle may be the cause. Evaluate the condition using diagnostic information in the appropriate Service Manual.

^Install the front propeller shaft. Refer to the Propeller Shaft subsection in the Service Manual.

3.Flush the transfer case with the blue colored fluid (AUTO-TRAK II) using the procedure and part number listed below. Perform the flush procedure even if the transfer case contains the blue colored AUTO-TRAK II fluid in order to remove any possible contaminants. The AUTO-TRAK II fluid contains an improved friction modifier that should correct the slip-stick condition. Refer to the Transfer Case subsection in the Service Manual for information on draining and filling the transfer case.

Flush Procedure

Important: Refer to Corporate Bulletin Number 99-04-21-001 dated April 1999, for important information on removing the transfer case drain and fill plugs.

1.Drain the transfer case fluid.

2.Refill the transfer case with 2L (2 qts) of new fluid, P/N 12378508 (Canadian P/N 10953626).

3.After refilling the transfer case, drive the vehicle a minimum of 8 km (5 mi).

4.With the transfer case at operating temperature, drain the transfer case fluid again.

5.Refill the transfer case with new fluid.

Important: The vehicle may require approximately 160 km (100 miles) of driving before the condition is completely corrected.

6.If this procedure does not correct the shudder condition, please call the Technical Assistance Center for further instructions and review PIP3012D or newer.
hauto, Technician
Experience: 15 year hands on technician experince, associate degree in automotive technologhy