Joe  Barfield
Joe Barfield, Master High-Tech
Experience:  Transmission Tech - Management Master Winner 3rd place Entire US Southeast region #1 after masters
17290852

2002 saturn: hard shift..2nd and 3rd and it bangs going into reverse

Customer Question

I have A 2002 Saturn Sl2 . It has A hard shift between 2nd and 3rd and it bangs going into reverse. I found P0782A,P0761D,P0756D,P0746D,P0732A,P0326D codes . At this time I changed fuid and filter . I filled with Dextron 3 . I ceared codes in computer and drove it. I found it to be shifting as hard or harder. After driving about 5 miles I rechecked for codes and found P0761D,P0756D & P0746D. Can you help ? Please.
Category: Car
Expert:  CTCARTECH replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
CTCARTECH :

Hello and Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today. It sounds like to me the clutchs inside the transmission are burnt and they are slipping. and hard shifting. A lot of times if the fluid is bad enough and you change it. it can actually make it worse as there could be clutch material in the fluid that changes the thickness or viscosity of the fluid. When you replace with new fluid, it is super clean and super thin and there for will make the transmission shift bad. Unfortunally you will either need to have the transmission rebuilt or replaced.

Customer :

I sure there must be A way to check this. this problem came about all at once and the shift is solid and not slipping. Also , the codes are showing other problems. I dont want to replace the transmission unless I know it is the problem.

CTCARTECH :

Ok then, There is ways to check, but there is nothing you can do yourself unfortunally. It may be the solenoids/main control that is bad which can cause a firm/hard shift.

Customer :

Very unsatisfied - I am not spending 4

Customer :

I am not spending $28.00 to be told I need to consider my transmission needs to be rebuilt without any questions to support this and a reply that I am not able to or Qulified to test any other possible problem.

CTCARTECH :

There are tests you can do. A transmission shop will need to do them such as pressure checks and solenoid checks with the proper equitment. I do not know what else you want to know.

Expert:  Joe Barfield replied 4 years ago.
Hello, Ive been Asked To take a Look at your Issue.......Would Love to Help !.........Many issues can cause your Type of Problems........The chance you would need a transmission would be only around 10%.......in its current condition.......lets Talk.....Thanks Joey