Drew
Drew, Super Mazda Tech
Experience:  17 yrs. experience as a shop owner. ASE L1 Advanced Certified Master Tech., Mazda Certified with Ford, Linc. & Merc. experience.
49548721

2003 ford taurus: 3.0 automatic..loud noises..again now car running

hi, i have a 2003 ford tarus 3.0 automatic with about 165000 miles (nothing special about it)in june the water pump was leaking so i replaced it with the thernstat and belt tensioner
next the engine light went on so i put in a coolant sensor light then engine light went off next the new water pump made loud noises so that was replaced again. engine light went on again after the second water pump was put in next replaced two oxgen sensors and a pcv valve the engine light went off but about a week later went on again now car running bad and smells no leaks sometimes hard to start in morning help i need to get to work if i dont show up i dont get paid what did these guys do to my car?
Category: Car
Expert:  Drew replied 4 years ago.

You will need to check the code and see if this is causing your concern. You may have a leaking fuel pressure regulator or faulty IAC to start with. Lets check the fuel pressure regulator first. It is round and located in top of the engine with one small vacuum line. Remove the vacuum line and look for presents of fuel leak in vacuum line or form regulator. If all is dry lets check IAC.(idle air control) It is located on the intake manifold with a 2 wire connector. Unplug connector and start engine. Compare with how it ran while connected. You may have to remove the IAC and clean with carb cleaner or replace. They say you can't clean it but I have had success cleaning for testing and if cleaning fixes concern then replace with new one in case the valve was damaged. Here is the diagnosis pinpoint test if you want to follow it.

Never clean an IAC valve. Carburetor cleaners and other cleaning agents may temporarily repair the drivability concern, but the long-term functionality of the valve is compromised.

For all drivability concerns, make certain the service writer obtains as much information as possible from the customer as to the conditions causing drivability concern. Attached is a drivability concern check off sheet (Figure 2) that if used, can help reduce the time required to diagnose a vehicle.

NOTE IF THE ENGINE STALLED WHILE THE VEHICLE WAS IN GEAR AND MOVING THE POSSIBILITY OF THE IAC VALVE CAUSING THIS IS UNLIKELY UNLESS IT OCCURRED ON DECELERATION.

Use the following Supplemental information for 3.0L 4V Duratec Engines, in the Taurus/Sable, and Lincoln LS.

1.Use the following conditions for the test described below:

^Transmission in park

^Engine temperature should be at least 190°F(88°C)

^All accessories should be off steering wheel in the center position

^EGVR and EVAPDUTY CYCLE at zero, if the vehicle has an EGR system

^Short and long term fuel trims less than 15%

^At stabilized engine speed (RPM) and temperature (hot idle) per the Powertrain Control Emission Diagnostics (PC/ED) manual, verify the IAC duty cycle is within reference values called out in the chart in this TSB.

NOTE IT IS USUAL TO SEE THE IAC DUTY CYCLE VARY BY 1% TO 2% OVER SEVERAL MINUTES.

If the Duty Cycle is out of specification, proceed with the following steps:

1.Ensure that there is no purge flow.

2.Verify PCM harness integrity by performing a wiggle test on the harness while the engine is running and observe the IAC duty cycle and engine performance. Should abnormalities be observed, repair the harness as required.

3.For an IAC duty cycle high concern, unplug and plug in the IAC power connector several times. If the duty cycle remains high, replace IAC valve.

4.For an IAC duty cycle low concern, there may be an intake air leak. See the below IAC diagnostic service tip for DTC 1506 and other high idle concerns.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

after the last time the engine light went on i went to get the code somewhere else for free it still said as follows -- coolant temputure is always low-

explaination - the powertrain control module vertifies the engine is at proper operating temperture

probable cause check coolant level

thermostat defective

ect sensor

does your answer still apply ? thats why i thoughtit was the fault of the mechanics who put the water pump in is . this is a different system ? not cooling

thanks

Expert:  Drew replied 4 years ago.
If this is the code that is stored it is usually because the thermostat opens to early and the PCM reads the engine coolant temp sensor being to low thus causing your car to stay in open loop. The Thermostat doesn't effect the engine on cold start up so this will not cause your starting concern. Perform the diagnosis I suggested if and have your code rechecked. If your using aftermarket parts this can happen. Try factory motorcraft parts.
Drew, Super Mazda Tech
Experience: 17 yrs. experience as a shop owner. ASE L1 Advanced Certified Master Tech., Mazda Certified with Ford, Linc. & Merc. experience.