Dave Nova
Dave Nova, ASE Certified Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification

2001 Chevrolet Suburban: My brake light stays..ABS sensor

My brake light stays on all the time in my 2001 Chevrolet Suburban. Could it be the ABS sensor and if so what does it cost to replace it?
Is this the brake light in the dash? Does the abs light stay on as well?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Since the abs light is staying on, the place to start is to have the abs system scanned for trouble codes. The abs system will turn on the Brake light as well. Once you have the codes, I can help you to diagnose where the problem is.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Would I have to have the abs system scanned at a dealer?

No, this does not have to be done at the dealer. You can not use the cheap basic scan tools, they are only for the check engine light. The scan tools that do the abs system are a bit more advanced and usually cost around $200. Most shops will have one. Stop by an independent shop and have them scan it for you, they will likely charge you a minimal fee for doing this. It only takes about 5 minutes to do, so don't let them charge you a bunch of money.