HighwayAutoRepair
HighwayAutoRepair, Technician
Experience:  Mercedes Benz Master Technician.8 Years experience. Mobile Automotive Repair business owner/operator

How do you change the fuel pump on a 1985 toyota pickup (22RE), EFI?

Customer Question

Category: Car
Expert:  HighwayAutoRepair replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
HighwayAutoRepair :

you are on the right track is repairing your vehicle, i might suggest further diagnosis in the fuel system before jumping to replace the fuel pump. What would you like me to help you with? I can either help you diagnose your fuel system issues, or give you detailed instructions on how to replace your fuel pmup

Customer :

Please diagnose fuel system issues first, then if we must replace pump we'll go with detailed instructions later.

HighwayAutoRepair :

sounds good, I will have diagnosis instructions for you shortly

Customer :

Thanks.

HighwayAutoRepair :

Full Size Image

HighwayAutoRepair :

the first thing you want to do is check all fuses in the fuse box

HighwayAutoRepair :

a blown fuse will cause the relay to be inoperative and cause the fuel pump to not turn on

HighwayAutoRepair :

in the picture i sent you, there is a component labeled "main relay" - this is the second component you will want to test

HighwayAutoRepair :

the easiest way to test this component is to locate it, and place your hand on the body of the relay, either have someone else put the key in the ignition, or do it yourself if you can reach both. when you turn the key to the "run" position, you should feel the relay click over. If this relay clicks over properly the remaining causes would be faulty wiring, or a failed fuel pump

HighwayAutoRepair :

REMOVAL OF FUEL PUMP

[IMAGE][SRC][/SRC][ALT][/ALT][WIDTH]98.72204472843451[/WIDTH][HEIGHT]100[/HEIGHT][STYLE][/STYLE][/IMAGE]

WARNING: Do not smoke or work near an open flame when working on the fuel pump.

1. DRAIN FUEL FROM FUEL TANK

2. REMOVE FUEL TANK

[IMAGE][SRC][/SRC][ALT][/ALT][WIDTH]114.28571428571429[/WIDTH][HEIGHT]100[/HEIGHT][STYLE][/STYLE][/IMAGE]

1. REMOVE FUEL PUMP BRACKET FROM FUEL TANK

(a)Remove the seven bolts.
(b)Pull out the fuel pump bracket.

[IMAGE][SRC][/SRC][ALT][/ALT][WIDTH]101.18577075098814[/WIDTH][HEIGHT]100[/HEIGHT][STYLE][/STYLE][/IMAGE]

1. REMOVE FUEL PUMP FROM FUEL PUMP BRACKET

(a)Remove the two nuts and disconnect the wires from the fuei pump.
(b)Pull off the bracket from the lower side of the fuel pump.
(c)Remove the fuel pump from the fuel hose.

[IMAGE][SRC][/SRC][ALT][/ALT][WIDTH]89.95983935742971[/WIDTH][HEIGHT]100[/HEIGHT][STYLE][/STYLE][/IMAGE]

1. REMOVE FUEL PUMP FILTER FROM FUEL PUMP

(a)Remove the rubber cushion.
(b)Remove the clip and pull out the tilter.

INSTALLATION OF FUEL PUMP

1. INSTALL FUEL PUMP FILTER TO FUEL PUMP

2. INSTALL FUEL PUMP TO FUEL PUMP BRACKET

(a)Insert the outlet port of the fuel pump into the fuel hose.
(b)Install the rubber cushion to the lower side of the fuel pump.

[IMAGE][SRC][/SRC][ALT][/ALT][WIDTH]101.99203187250995[/WIDTH][HEIGHT]100[/HEIGHT][STYLE][/STYLE][/IMAGE]

(c)Push the lower side of the fuel pump, together with the rubber cushion, into the fuel pump bracket.

1. INSTALL FUEL PUMP BRACKET

(a)Place the bracket with a new gasket on the fuel tank.

[IMAGE][SRC][/SRC][ALT][/ALT][WIDTH]94.11764705882354[/WIDTH][HEIGHT]100[/HEIGHT][STYLE][/STYLE][/IMAGE]

(b)Install the tighten the seven bolts.

1. INSTALL FUEL TANK

• When installing the fuel tank, refer to Fuel Tank / Service and Repair for the installation position of the protector and hose and the tightenng torque. See: Fuel Tank

• After installation, check for leaks.

Full Size Image
Terms of Use
HighwayAutoRepair :

scroll above the fuel pump removal instructions to locate my last post before proceeding, after you have checked the fuses and tested the relay as instructed above, it is most likely time to replace the fuel pump. The fuel pump is located in the top of the fuel tank, and the "proper" way to replace it is to remove the fuel tank and move the fuel tank out from underneath the truck to replace the fuel pump. Another option, is to remove the bed off the truck and leave the fuel tank attached. either option is identical, except for either removing the steel bed, or removing the fuel tank. the bed is heavier and "harder" to move, but takes less time if you have a friend or two to help you move it, and allows you to not have to be on your back to complete the repair. Please re-post after you have inspected the fuses/relay and let me know your results, I'll then point you where to go next after that. good luck. Talk to you soon.

Customer :

Awesome. Thanks

HighwayAutoRepair :

you are welcome, talk to you soon

HighwayAutoRepair, Technician
Experience: Mercedes Benz Master Technician.8 Years experience. Mobile Automotive Repair business owner/operator
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
H. A. Repair, ALOHA and thanks for the excellent instructions. I pulled the tank, changed the fuel pump, checked for leaks and everything is 'cherry'! You are a GREAT teacher-- simple, clear cut instruction, walking me through it step by step. The job went smoothly and I learned a lot.
MAHALO, XXXXX
P.S. Sorry,can't afford to tip right now--getting my ass kicked with the bad economy (furloughs twice/mo.), trying to survive in one of the most expensive places on earth.
You are welcome, thanks for the kind words. I'm glad I was able to help you. Do not worry about a tip, Feedback in the feedback section regarding the question would be kindly appreciated though.

Edited by HighwayAutoRepair on 9/14/2010 at 6:34 PM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
That is the exact section I've been looking for so that I could post my last 'feedback' to your terrific help. Where the heck is the 'feedback section'?
unfortunately I'm not sure where the feedback option is for a customer, I believe i have a different user interface than you do. My feedback section is on the top right of my page, there is a link to it labeled " feedback" you "might" be able to click on my name and provide feedback through there, but i don't think so. Unfortunately I wont be able to respond after this post, every time i post a response here in a closed question is eliminates one of my 10 "available" posts per day. Thanks again for the kind words, hopefully you can find the feedback section, if not, don't worry about it. Take care and have a great day.