Dave Nova
Dave Nova, ASE Certified Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

99 Oldsmobile Alero: electrical..The trunk release button..mechanism

Hello, I have a '99 Oldsmobile Alero and the trunk stopped operating last summer. I believe it is electrical and related to the anti-theft system. The trunk release button does nothing, does not even click and my key does not work to open the trunk (anti-theft mechanism). I tried breaking into the back seat but to no avail. Any suggestions. I'm thinking there is a latch in the trunk that needs to be "deactivated" if I could only get to it (if I understood the manual correctly). I will check the fuses again in the morning but believe I checked those once already. All the mechanics I've gone to have told me to take it to the dealer. I do not want to pay a fortune to get this fixed as I am getting ready to finally sell this thing and move on.
Category: Car
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 6 years ago.
In the fuse panel on the drivers end of the dash, check the trunk fuse. If the fuse is okay, check the trunk relay in this panel, see if the relay clicks when the trunk release button is pressed. Let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hi there,

I checked the fuse and changed it out with a new one. I do hear a clicking noise, but still not opening. I tried resetting the automatic door locks and that didn't help. Again, my key does not work in the trunk either, which leads me to believe tha the lockout feature in the trunk is switched to on...although I should be able to use my key to enter the trunk.

Any further thoughts?

Thanks,

Susan

Expert:  Dave Nova replied 6 years ago.

The key should still work, but there may be a problem with the release cable between the key cylinder and the latch. The electric release is likely not working because of the latch switch in the trunk like you suspect. Removal of the back seat is how you are going to have to access the trunk.

Lift up on forward edge of the lower seat cushion, then remove the lower seat cushion. The seat back can then be removed. Remove the bolts at the bottom and then lift up on the seat back to disengage it and remove it from the vehicle.

graphic

graphic

graphic