Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.

I have a2 2003 Mini Cooper S that is leaking a small amount

I have a2 2003 Mini Cooper S that is leaking a small amount of blue fluid after it sits over night. I called a mechanic and he immediately wanted to replace the radiator. Is there a possible less expensive fix?
Category: Car
Expert:  Pete replied 6 years ago.

Hello,I will be glad to try and assist you with this,Welcome to Just Answer.

I just need a little more info to try and assist better,

What area of the vehicle is this fluid leaking from?

Does the mechanic know that this is a coolant leak for sure here or just guessing?

Let me know,Thanks Pete!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks-it seems to be leaking from the front, middle (at least that's where the liquid is on the garage floor) Is there a stop leak product I could use? I can't afford a large repair bill now.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I told the mechanic that the liquid was blue and he seemed sure that it was coolant.
Expert:  Pete replied 6 years ago.

The coolant in this vehicle can be blue if it is factory coolant or has had dye added to it.

If the leak isn't tremendous then yes you can purchase a radiator or coolant stop leak product pretty much at any parts store that is meant to be used for aluminum products.

Then you can add the stop leak into the coolant and follow the instructions on the can or package on how to run it afterwards,In most cases with a small leak this may correct the problem for a long time and in others it may not correct it or it may correct it for a short period of time instead.

Radiators can also be repaired in most cases,you can check around for any radiator repair centers in your area to see what the charge would be,usually its a lot less then replacing it.

I hope this helped,let me know if you need anything else,Thank Pete.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you- I just wanted to be sure that it was OK to use that on a Mini Coooper S. These cars are high maintenance!
Expert:  Pete replied 6 years ago.

It isn't recommended to use this kind of stuff in any vehicle as it can plug up smaller coolant passages as well like the heater core,but in most cases you will be ok to use this as I have rarely seen any problems.

This is just used as a temporary fix and not a permanent solution.When you get the vehicle repaired you will want to have the coolant flushed out to remove any of this that is left over.

I hope this helped,Thanks Pete!P.S. if you feel satisfied please click accept as this is how I get paid for my time.