Matt J
Matt J, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Tech,10+ Yrs Experince All Makes,Advance Training GM, Toyota ,VW, Kia,Plus More
14582819

The lights flicker and you hear a clicking noise in the dash..key back

Customer Question

My car has done this twice in one week. I go to start the car, and the lights flicker and you hear a clicking noise in the dash. It stops when I turn the key back. I try again, and the lights flicker, the clicking resumes, and then my radio resets and spits out the CD. The third time is the charm. Is my starter going bad?
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt J replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Matt J :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be more than happy to assist you.

Matt J :

Check the battery connection for being loose.

JACUSTOMER-96yi2y3m- :

I'm going to do that tomorrow morning, since I don't have a flashlight...but what if they aren't loose? We replaced the battery last year, and I haven't had any problems until now.

JACUSTOMER-96yi2y3m- :

Thank you for answering so quickly, by the way. I appreciate that.

Matt J :

When the radio resets it is always a power problem so the cause has to be between the battery and the fuse block. Normally it is a loose connection.

JACUSTOMER-96yi2y3m- :

Hmmm...well, the connection was fine. I had my boyfriend check it with me looking on, and it was okay. So what is next? Is it a relay problem? Computer problem? Starter?

Matt J :

When you said the radio resets do you mean the clock resets.

JACUSTOMER-96yi2y3m- :

Yes, the clock resets and the radio spits out the CD. The lights in the car also flicker on and off rapidly and there is a clicking sound in the dash.

Matt J :

When you disconnected the battery was the positive terminal wet?

JACUSTOMER-96yi2y3m- :

I didn't disconnect anything, just checked. And for today, it happened again at a gas station. I forced the car to start, but I thought it was going to die, it was running horribly. Then it threw a "check engine" light. The code was P1682...Ignition 1 switch current 2, voltage difference between two circuits...ignition is apparently messing up.

Matt J :

With that code it backs up what I have been having you check, Your problem is either with the battery, the connections at the battery, or the battery cable connections at the fuse block. Everything you have problems with is being caused by loss of power. Disconnect the battery and reconnect it. Just because they feel tight does not mean they are making a good connection. Also look at the battery terminals and see if they are wet. If they are your problem is with the battery, but do not touch the wetness it is battery acid.