Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

1995 Olds 88 Royale: Yesterday the brake light and warning bell came

1995 Olds 88 Royale. Yesterday the brake light and warning bell came on unexpectedly. It would turn off when braking slightly, and then return... today it is almost constant, but will still periodically go off an on. The brake fluid level is full, braking is fine, and there are no leaks I can find.
Category: Car
Expert:  Pete replied 6 years ago.

Hello,I will be glad to try and assist you with this,Welcome to Just Answer.

You have some things that could be causing this issue here.

First your emergency brake pedal switch may be faulty or the e-brake pedal may not be staying in the upright position all the way,if this pedal moves slightly it can cause this light to come on as well as the chime.You can try lifting up on this pedal when this happens to see if the lightr and chime both stop,if they do then you will most likely need a new e-brake assembly or a spring to return the pedal up to the upright position fully.

Another thing here is even if your brake fluid is full you could have a faulty brake fluid level sensor in the resevoir,this can cause the light to come on as well.This will have to be checked with a scan tool to see if it is reading the incorrect level.

I would also have your codes checked in the ABS brake computer,you could have a failure within the ABS braking system and it could be setting a failure code.Usually though if this were the case the ABS light would also illuminate.

I think what is either hapening here is the e-brake pedal isnt pulling up all the way and triggering the switch or the brake fluid level sensor in the reservoir is faulty.