Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

2007 Saab: 60,000 mile servicing and the dealer found..rear brakes

Customer Question

My 2007 Saab 9-3 wagon was in for the 60,000 mile servicing and the dealer found that the rear brakes had only 10% left. The front brakes were fine. I understand that the front brakes are responsible for 70% of the braking. It would seem that the front brakes whould have worn out the most. Is the rapid wearing of the rear brakes anything to be concerned about.
Category: Car
Expert:  Pete replied 6 years ago.

Hello,I will be glad to try and assist you with this,Welcome to Just Answer.

Have the front brake pads ever been replaced before on this vehicle?

Let me know,Thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

no, unless I have forgotten the front brakes being serviced, I believe they are the original equipment. I will confirm this tomorrow after contacting the dealership where the first two years of servicing was provided.

Expert:  Pete replied 6 years ago.

If the front brake pads have already been replaced once then this could be the reason behind why the rear need replaced now and the front still have plenty of life left.

You are correct though,the front will usually wear out first or faster then the rear as the front are applied more then the rear or wear faster.

If the front have never been replaced then you could have an issue with a possible master cylinder concern causing pressure on the rear pads all the time(even the slightest pressure) which can cause them to wear out faster.

I hope this information helped,If you need anything else let me know,If you feel satisfied that I have assisted please click accept as this is how I get paid,positive feedback is appreciated,Thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I've seen others Saab owners comment on this after a google search - so it may be a unique characteristic of this model. The dealership is recommending that I replace both the pads and the rotors ( $425). How can I tell if the rotors really need replacing?
Expert:  Pete replied 6 years ago.

I've been informed that it is common on these models for the rear pads to wear faster as this is the way they have been engineered for this vehicle,Ive heard the rears can wear lout as fast as the first 15,000 miles and the fronts would still be o.k.Just a way the vehicle was designed.

If you take a look at your rotors and see a large lip on the outside edge of the rotor or if they are warped or out of spec. this is most likely why your rotors need replaced.

I hope this helped in some way.If you feel satisfied that I have answered your question please click accept as this is how I get paid for my time,positive feedback and bonuses are appreciated,Thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have learned that the rear pads on the Saab are 1/2 the thickness of the front pads, therefor replacing these beforwe the front pads is expected.
Expert:  Pete replied 6 years ago.
I had also found similar info out on this as well,Thanks Pete.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The corect response should have referenced the fact that the rear pads are 1/2 the thickness of the front to begin with.
Expert:  Pete replied 6 years ago.
You are right,I apologize for the incorrect response,Thanks Pete.