Pete, Mechanic
Experience:  15 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

2001 Olds silhouette: Glovebox..(its got those flimsey plastic hinges

Glovebox door broke off (its got those flimsey plastic hinges) my 2001 Olds Silhoutte. How do I get the old attached hinge portion that is still attached off? Seems like these are some kind of rivits holding it on. Whatever fasteners they used will not "unscrew."
Category: Car
Expert:  Pete replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Pete :

Hello,I will be glad to try and assist you with this,Welcome to Just Answer.Most of these glove boxes are riveted on in place,in order to replae the door the dash pad has to be purchased and installed.If your glove box door is riveted in place(most likely it is) then the rivets have to be drilled out in order to remove the glove box door.You can drill these out if you want to just remove this door for now.It will most likely take an 1/8 inch drill bit and a drill to do this.

Pete :

Some of these the rivets arent accesible as they may be covered with anothr panel,this is why they come as a complete assembly with a new dash pad.Some can break away the paneling to get to these rivets to drill them out if wanted.

Pete :

I hope this information has helped,if you need anything else let me know,If I have assisted and you feel satisfied please click accept as this is how I get paid,positive feedback and bonuses are appreciated.Thanks Pete.

Customer:

Pete,

Customer:

Pete :

I'm here

Customer:

I don't want to buy a whole glove-box assy its over $85. Just want to get a U-Pull it door and replace myself

Pete :

If you can remove and retrofit a different device then that would work,ive never seen anybody do this but if you have found something you want to use in place of this then you would have to retrofit it in place to work.

Customer:

Can the rivets be removed without damaging too much and just replace with some kind of self-tapping screw?

Customer:

When I try to drill the fasteners out are they going to spin and turn in the hole?

Pete :

If you can easily gain access to these rivets then they can be removed and you can use self tapping screws or recommended small screws/bolts and nuts to hold it in place,just make sure you have a clear shot at drilling these out and also make sure there is nothing behind the rivets that you would be drilling into.

Pete :

If they spin and turn in the hole then the bit isnt sharp enough,this is possible,you can drill them and if they start to spin you can try and angle the bit slightly to see if it will stop the spinning.In most cases this works with drilling out the rivets.

Pete :

Sometimes even sharp drill bits can cause the rivets to spin epsecially with the rivets being in plastic,you will just have to careflly drill them out without damaging to much.

Pete :

The plastic may heat up and cause the spin.

Pete :

Just try to be careful.

Pete :

Did this info help in any way,if so please click accept as this is how I get paid for my time,positive feedback and bonuses are appreciated,Thanks again,Pete.

Customer:

Sounds tricky, but since its an old car I don't want to spend alot just to fix a glove box dr. I have found one in the salvage yard with a good hinge. I just need to get it off and wondered if it was possible. Even if I bought the whole glove box unit new it seems the old remaining hinge portion would have to be removed somehow by the dealership wouldn't it?

Pete :

The dash pad may have to be taken apart if possible to remove the old hinge if it can't be easily acessed to remove,a dealership might do this for you or another shop as well unless you can find a way to remove the remaining part.Then you should be able to either rivet a new one in place or install screws or bolts to hold it in place.

Customer:

When you say "dash pad" are you referring the hinged portion of the glovebox door that remains when the hinge breaks and front part of the door itself comes off? Reason I ask is the glove box rubber pad just lays inside.

Pete :

I am speaking of the entire dash assembly.In most cases to get a new door and the hinges you have to purchase the entire dash assembly,meaning dash pad.I hope this helped.

Customer:

Obviously GM never planned to give us the option of just replacing the hinge. The door and latch are fine the glove box is fine. It's just the hinge that busted. I know the design is not your fault...I'm just venting steam. Guess I'll try the drill out with a sharp drill as you suggest. Thanks

Customer:

By the way, do I get a month of consult for the $18 or just this session?

Pete :

It depends on what you signed up for,if you posted the $18 for this question then that is what it is for,I believe there are certain options you can pay for here but yu would have to look into the monthly access fees here on Just Answer.Thanks Pete.

Pete :

Pete, Mechanic
Experience: 15 years automotive training and experience.